Monday, March 14, 2011

The Blackberry: My Gateway drug to technology

The hubbs and I were watching a show the other night and a Blackberry commercial came on. He glanced lovingly at his Droid X and snarked, "Aren't you glad we don't have those any more".  I looked at my own smaller Droidlet phone (the Droid 2) and smiled. Oh how I love my technology. I didn't always have this love for all things convenient in the palm of my hand. I didn't even have a "smart" phone until I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with Arielle. I switched from my good ole LG, all-it-can-do-is-call-and-send-texts model to the Blackberry Curve. I was instantly enamoured with the bbm function, instant access to my email and the ability to look at web pages, albeit slow loading and not the easiest to see at times. I was grateful for my new toy considering I didn't get within 30 yards of a computer in the first few weeks with the new baby. Heck, I was even able to tweet and FB the birth of my daughter almost as soon as she came out. This is where the honeymoon ended.

The BB started to freeze up ALL the time. If I didn't erase my emails my phone would freak out and I would have to take the battery out and reboot it. This happened daily. I got so irritated that I wanted a new phone, but I couldn't go back to my plain Jane phone. I NEEDED the email and twitter and all of the smartness of my smart phone. So we upgraded to the Droid family of phones. Now I fear I have too much technology at my fingertips. I have a Tweetdeck, words with friends, angry birds, Zoodles for Nate, a stopwatch app (you know we all need one of those), Facebook, ebay, Kayak, Pandora and who knows what else on my phone. I find myself walking around the house with my technological leash and have to ask myself how I got to this point?? When did the simple like of technology turn into this addiction? I blame it all on my Blackberry. It was my gateway drug. I don't even think they have a rehab for this kinda thing. Hmmm, maybe I'll ask Charlie. WINNING!!

7 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I wish! You saw my poor ancient texted-the-numbers-clean-off original cell phone, ha ha!

    I think a smart phone would probably be worth its weight in Chuggington toys if it kept Itty Bit quiet in the grocery store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't upgraded to a smartphone despite my husband's constant urging. I have a feeling it would suck me in and never let me go! The hubs has a Droid and is on it all. the. time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha. I just switched from a BB to a Droid. My rule... when I get home with the boys, the phone gets put away. I don't allow myself to look at it until after they're in bed. Occasionally, I will be I tend to be pretty good about sticking to my self imposed rule. It is like a drug!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely! The Blackberry lead me to the iPhone and now I can't wait to ditch this one and get the iPhone 4!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still on a sends-texts-only Env3 and I love it. But then again, I only work half days and check my e-mail obsessively at home on the laptop. I had an internet connection on my Env3 for about a week and decided I never needed it. But I've been playing "castle" on Chad's iPad all week and can totally see the addiction of apps!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??