Thursday, April 21, 2011

The price of beauty...

I went to the RI Women's Expo with my friend last weekend. First I'd like to say that was slightly irritated and extremely underimpressed with the types of booths there were. Crappy jewelry, chotchies, and other  items of questionable worth were rampant. Is this crap what we, as women, represent? I certainly hope not, but the people there were eating it up! Of course there were a few good booths, Zumba Fitness, some wineries (we all love wine) and a local dairy that delivers (score!).

Like any expo there were plenty of giveaways. I threw my name in the hat for a few of them, you know, the good ones. One was for all new windows for the house, a finished basement, and of course a $1600 "Grand Prize" for a national laser treatment center with local offices. What they hey, everyone needs a little beauty help, right? And free beauty help, well, what could be better than that?

So, I won. Yes, the "Grand Prize". Why do I keep using quotes for that, you ask? Well, I decided I'd bite. $1600 must buy a ton of beauty, right?? I had a consultation and it turns out that $1600 is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to beautifying one's self. There were a bunch of different treatments available. Botox, microderm abrasions, body contouring (whatever the heck that is), etc. Since I am a Microbiologist (by schooling) I am very anti injecting the world's deadliest poison into my face, no matter how safe they claim it to be. Besides, how will I get Nate to listen to me if I can't give him my sternest frowny face??

One treatment did strike my fancy. It's not surgical. It's not a laser treatment that hurts a lot or makes your face red for days. It's a subdermal treatment that supposedly stimulates your own cells to produce more collagen and elastin instead of injecting it into your face. It evens out skin tone, helps small scars and wrinkles (which I have quite a few of) and would help the hyperpigmentation I have from years of sun damage and the burn I got when I was pregnant with Nate. That sounds awesome, right?? So what's the hang up? Oh yeah, it costs $3,500...for 4 treatments. So do the math. $3500 minus my "Grand Prize" and it would still cost me $1900. Not so "Grand" if you ask me. I guess I will have to grow old gracefully if this is the cost of beauty.

10 comments:

  1. We have the same type of Expo that comes here too. And I'm usually not all that impressed with the majority of the booths. A few of them hit the nail on the head, the others I can do without.

    And your prize? Crazy! I think I would have been rather mad to find out my "prize" was not so grand at all, and that they were trying to get all my money. All they really sold was the idea that your free prize came with a hidden price tag.

    I know we all would like to fix something here or there on ourselves, but you are beautiful just as you are, fine wrinkles and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're beautiful just the way you are! Sell your "prize" on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to say it!! I could not agree more. These grand prizes are so dumb! Of course, you can't use the grand prize for any products right? It has to be a treatment, with additional costs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're gorgeous but I hope you can still find something to use your "Grand Prize" winnings on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just crazy! What do they do for $1600? Shave your legs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'd say congrats, but what a bummer it was so expensive!! I had a laser hair removal consulation once. Yikes. Too bad you didn't get the finished basement or new windows!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet even the finished basement and all new windows will be calling too! Then you will find out it only costs $$,$$$.00 to complete the jobs, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HATE misleading prizes like that!!! Ugh. Sorry, Kam. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is RIDICULOUS. Holy Snap. Could you do laser hair removal or something? Up here it's only $80-$120 per treatment so for $1600 you should be able to go hair free all summer and then some. Option?

    I couldn't agree more with the comments above about your natural beauty. You are stunning. 100% perfectly made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's crazy! I'd tell them to give the prize to somebody else. You don't need it!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??