Saturday, January 12, 2013

How did I get my name?

My friend Carla over at All of Me...now has a wonderful idea. She wants to tell her story to her children. Not just one snapshot in time, but a series of stories to show them who she was before they knew her as "Mom". I love the idea and will be participating in the weekly series. It is important to me that I retain my identity and not just be seen as a mom. I had a full life before I had kids and that didn't disappear once I had my first child. So with out further ado, the first installment of "Me before Mom".

How did you get your name? Did you always love it? Have you ever wanted to change it?

Kameron Louise

From what I've been told, my first name had 2 major influences. My mom's best friend Dean's middle name was Cameron, and then there was a dancer on American Bandstand named Kami. My mom said she always loved the name and that is why she decided to spell it with a K. The ironic thing is she never called me Kami and I hated it so much when people would call me that, that I wouldn't allow it! The only one who ever got away with it was my uncle. He called me Kami-Lou until I was an adult. I think he did it just to get a rise out of me! 

My middle name is my grandma's middle name. While I thought it sounded slightly "Little House on the Prairie" when I was younger, I have always like the fact that my Gram and I shared a middle name. We were really close when I was growing up and it felt like our own secret club.

I have a pretty unique name, but I didn't always like it. People couldn't pronounce it right. I got called Carmen, Candace and Kam-or-on a lot. I would just politely correct them and watch their puzzled face as they tried to say it right the next time.  I don't think I met another girl with my name until I was out of high school, and even then it was spelled with a C. My mom was adamant that people spell my name correctly. She always introduced me as "Kameron with a K".  It was humiliating back then, but I find myself doing it now. People often thought I was a boy by my name. I even got a notice from the U.S. government after I turned 18 saying it was a felony not to register for the draft. I think, just like everything in life, the grass is always greener on the other side. I wished I had a more normal name. I wished I didn't have to pronounce it for everyone or spell it all the time. Having a unique name made me a target for teasing too, but I think kids will always find something to tease about anyway.

It wasn't until I got into high school that I started liking my name. I started appreciating the fact that I wasn't one of 3 Heathers in my class that had to go by Heather followed by their last initial. When someone said my name, there was only one of me. I liked it even more as I got into college. It was a conversation starter. I started to really own it. I think it fits me. I sort of don't like the fact that if you Google my name I am the only one that shows up, but I guess it is cool that there is only one me. 

18 comments:

  1. I've always thought your name is so pretty. I love that there is a real meaning and connection behind it.
    When you Google my name you get me, and an anime/comicon ummmm...interesting girl....so I'd rather be unique ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....I think I like Kami-Lou.....I might just have to share that at work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love Kami-Lou. And Louise is one of those old fashioned names that I just can't help but love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Kami-Lou too! And I think I want to join in in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the line about the Heathers! I never met anyone that had my name and spelled it the way I did until college...I found two others! I was floored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to middle school with a Louise. She called herself "weezie" and I LOVED it! Such a fun name. "Kameron" is beautiful and unique without being uncomfortable... plus American Bandstand? Can't go wrong! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your name. We share a middle name, amy family called me Sarah Lou!
    When you google my name you get me, and a Dancer/Model who works in Vegas.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have loved your name since I first "met" you! I was "Rachel D" in school - my first name was common in a Christian school, but my middle name is a special K one like yours :) We're cereal twins :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so fascinated by these stories. I wouldn't think Kameron would be so confusing to people! I knew 1 Kameron and one or two Camerons in high school. I like your name.

    Also? I had a group of friends in high school that called me Missy Sue. It made me feel like a farmer or something. But your uncle's nickname for you reminded me of that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your name!! And I think I love it even more because it's spelled with a K. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's name stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your name! Kameron is unique and definitely one of a kind, very you :) I also like Louise and it makes me want to call you Wheezer or Kameron Louise when I see you next! Thanks for sharing your name story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Kami-Lou...what wrong with Heather M?! ;) Surprisingly enough, I never had any other Heathers in my classes through school. I love your name! We had Camryn on our list for girls names! Maybe we will use it someday...maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I can't wait to get to know you better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kameron (with a K) was a front-runner for our first girlie's name.. it was between Averi and Kameron.. I LOVE your name. I remember Real World Vegas had a Cameron (girl) on it and I thought to myself, every week when the show came on, "That name would work well on me." LOL. When you first joined Rhody Bloggers, I saw your name and I was like, "I'm gonna like that girl because I love her name! Finally, I know a Kameron!"

    That may have all sounded a bit weird and disturbing, but I'm glad we're friends now. :)

    PS- does anyone call you Kam? Or do you not like that either? (Just curious.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat series - I'll have to look into participating. Kameron is a beautiful, unique name and suits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My best friend in middle school was Heather and there were a couple others, but whenever someone mentioned Heather everyone automatically assumed it was me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your name is beautiful! Much more original than my own!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Godmother is "Kam" on Facebook (I do not know her THAT well, long story) and I believe her full name is either Kameron or Kamron. Not sure which spelling.

    I know what you mean about always spelling your name and people saying it wrong and also about not liking it so much at first. I wanted to be a Jennifer or Michelle or Heather because those girls were always bonding over having the same name. And nowadays I am totally fine with having a not as common name. But I do get a lot of people say, "Oh that's my great Aunt's name" or "that is my middle name!"

    It's all good.

    I am glad you like your name now. I think it's a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??