Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Taste the Rainbow

I got this recipe from Steph over at Live.Love.Eat. She always has the best food on her blog. I tried this dish out on Sunday when the in-law's came over and it was a hit. Sorry, the picture is of the dish before it was cooked. Dinner was taking too long and I had to rush everything to the table so we could eat. Also, I'm sure my MIL would wonder why I was taking pictures of our food if I had!

Recipe:
2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 russet potatoes, unpeeled
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
3 large Roma tomatoes
Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Dried thyme, to taste
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions & saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic & cook for another 60 seconds. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the greased baking dish.

Slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash & tomatoes in 1/4 inch thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them into a spiral. Season with sea salt, black pepper & dried thyme, to taste. Drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top.

Cover the dish with tin foil & bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover & sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top & bake for another 25-30 minutes or until browned.
************************************************************************
My hubby didn't love the thyme, but I thought it was great. Maybe next time I will try rosemary to shush him. I also didn't have a large round baking dish so I cooked the onion and garlic in my cast iron skillet and then just put the veggies in on top and popped the whole thing in the oven. I didn't have to spray the dish with cooking spray since I had already cooked the onions in the oil. I followed Steph's suggestion of not standing the veggies too upright so the seasoning coats more of the veggies. My one suggestion would be to make sure you don't cut the potatoes too thick so they cook evenly. I had a couple in the dish that were slightly undercooked because of my slicing technique!
I loved this dish and it has definitely made it into the queue for dinners.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, those pictures are amazing, I've never found myself craving vegetables as much as I am right now! I can't wait to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum and looks easy enough for me to try. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very healthy! My kind of meal - thanks for a new one to add to my recipe book. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it looks pretty, but sadly not up my alley. Wish it were though!

    LORI

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty dish Kameron! I would want it to stay on the table just for looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, what a great recipe for a BBQ too! Had to copy it for future use. You are getting to be a great cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful and healthy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried something similiar to this years ago when I lived in Germany, and had long since lost the recipe....yum! I'm going to make this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kam that sounds great! I have to side with hubby though on the rosemary instead of thyme. I will for sure try this one too just as I did the marinade. :)

    Love and Prayers,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pics are so awesome. This dish is just so pretty! I am glad you enjoyed it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks too pretty to eat! and too hard to make, but again, I can hardly microwave correctly...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds (and looks) delicious!

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh..mmmm delish...I love love love the spring and summer stuff coming our way...I am ready to fire up the grill and get it started! I will totally try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum. Great pictures too!! I'm definitely gonna try that. Saw Kat had printed it out... I need to too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh yummy!! Thanks for entering!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??