Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Baby Story

Sunday night I went to sleep on the wrong side of the bed...literally. We have a co-sleeper and thought it might be logistically easier if it were on the side of the bed opposite the door for easier coming and going in our room. Unfortunately that is Aaron's side of the bed. I thought we could give swapping a try for a night and see how it went. I warned him, before I went to bed, that if I couldn't sleep I was waking him up to switch. After some weird dreams, a drooling incident (that's a whole post of it's own) and waking up at 4:30am with my back killing me, I decided I had had enough with HIS side of the bed. I grabbed my pillows (which is like 100 when you're 9 months pregnant), got up, grumbled to him to scoot over and nestled happily into the right side of our bed.

Eight minutes later I had my first contraction. This was no false alarm, no pre-labor. This was what I remembered from the last time. How had I mistaken my 5 hours of fakers on the 14th for this?? As I laid there through the first few, I smiled. It was time. I was finally going to have this baby!!! I waited until 6:00am to wake Aaron and let him know. At that point the contractions were 5-6 minutes apart and getting stronger. I decided I'd better eat and get a quick shower before we had to leave for the hospital. At 7 I woke Natey up and grabbed the last of our stuff and put it in the car. As I watched my handsome little boy run around in his jammies I began to tear up. This was the last time he would be an only child. All of our worlds were about to change forever. We snapped one last picture as we left the house. It was a gloomy day out as we left our house. We had planned to drop Natey off and then go to the hospital, but by the time we left the house at 7:30 my contractions had sped up to 3-4 minutes apart. I figured it would be a better bet to take me first.

I got to the hospital at 7:40, got settled into triage and waited for my midwife. When she arrived 15 minutes later, she checked me and I was dilated to 5cm. They were getting my room ready so I stayed in triage and waited for Aaron to arrive. He got there, my contractions started getting stronger and I was moved up to my labor and delivery room at 8:55am. My midwife checked me again and I was dilated to 8cm. It all seemed a little surreal this time. I was more in control. I knew what I was doing. I trusted my body and the fact that I had done this once before without drugs. There was only one point during the last 2 contractions before I started pushing when I looked at Aaron and said, "I'm scared". He smiled at me and said I was doing a great job and we'd have this baby out in no time. At 10:31 am I delivered my beautiful baby girl, Arielle Lorraine. To say it was amazingly fast would be an understatement. I could not believe it only took 6 hours from start to finish. As they laid her on me, I though she seemed so small. After carrying 35 pound Natey around, I couldn't fathom that she was 9 and a half freaking pounds!!! What?? I just delivered a gigantic baby, with no drugs, and I didn't so much as tear. How, on earth, is that possible??

For those of you who played the game, I wanted to show proof that she was, in fact, born the morning after the last guess!! Between my blog contest and the pool from my baby shower we raised 76 dollars. Since no one got the date right, it will all be donated to the MS society. What is even better is my work has a matching gift program, so a total of $150 will be donated in my mom's name!
My midwife was amazing, yet again. I loved the experience I had when I was pregnant and delivering Natey and this time was no different. I even followed her to a new practice and delivered at a different hospital than I preferred to have her. Truth be told, I would have a baby in a Walmart if she would deliver me!

Aaron was the best partner yet again. He has such a quiet calm about him that it always helps to calm my nerves. I know he truly believes in me and it reassured me all the way through.

Natey came to visit us that evening. He is the proudest big brother I have ever seen. He loved holding her and is always wanting to touch her face. He was so gentle with her and seeing them together melts my heart!
I felt surprisingly great after having her (obviously since I was tweeting and updating Facebook, via my beloved BlackBerry, 45 min after she was born). I feel a lot calmer this time. Maybe it's because I feel like I know what I'm doing. I'm not all panicky and freaking out over every detail. I let them take her to the nursery so I could get some rest (which I didn't do when Nate was born) and I felt like I was ready to go home the next day. They did her 24 hour check and said we were free to go!
Now we're home and she is the best baby. She sleeps well, is feeding well and I'm even getting rest when she sleeps. Keep your fingers crossed that it stays this way and I will update more as the days and weeks go by!

I know you want to squeeze those cheeks. How could you not??!!

48 comments:

  1. She's beautiful! Congratulations! I LOVE the name! How did you come up with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I've been hoping you would post soon (you know, because I'm sure you have nothing better to do - ha!)

    What a great baby story! When you talked about tearing up thinking about it being Natey's last moments as an only child, I did a bit too!! What a sweet pic of you two :O)

    As for Miss Arielle, she is an absolute doll! I'm so happy to hear how great (and fast) everything went!

    And don't you think that fate had a hand in her bday since now all the money goes to your charity!!

    Enjoy your thanksgiving tomorrow with you two sweet kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again Kam!!! She is beautiful and yes I wanna pinch those cheeks. I still can't believe she was bigger than Olivia. I thought only I birthed huge babies. I'm so glad everything went so well for you. And I love that pic of her and Natey! Hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally a post! I've been seriously stalking your blog nearly every hour for the past 2 days! Apparently keeping people in suspense is a skill sweet Arielle learned from her mommy! ;)

    Looking at Arielle's adorable little face and at all of your sweet faces just makes me want to ask one question - Could you all BE any more gorgeous??

    Remind me again why I'm not there photographing this?? Argh.

    BlogBaby's BabyMama

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! I am so happy she didn't keep you waiting much longer - and that you had another wonderful experience!!! This makes me want #3 that much more!! Can't wait to meet her!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I teared up. It was that darn picture of Natey and his baby sis. Oh, how happy I am that he's already in love with her AND gentle!! Let's hope it stays that way... for a little while at least.

    I am beyond proud of you and your birthing story! You labored at home until 5cm... wow. I think that's when I got my epidural! So glad your midwife was great again and Aaron too.

    I love what Krissy said about the charity money. What a great way to look at it!

    Glad you're blogging again so soon!! I've been a blogger stalker too. : )

    She's beautiful!!! Congrats again and I can't wait to have our BOYS and our GIRLS together next summer (I hope, I hope!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh...she is precious. She looks like Natey. I think. Maybe it is those cute lips. So glad it went so well. My second one was so much easier too. Congrats...she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh...she is precious. She looks like Natey. I think. Maybe it is those cute lips. So glad it went so well. My second one was so much easier too. Congrats...she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for you... this post totally made me tear up a little bit. {baby fever, much?!? geez!}

    Funny story..I saw your tweet about her being born the morning of and when I read her name, I was a little surprised. Greg was in the kitchen making lunch and I said "so one of my blog friends just had a baby and guess what her name is??" He guessed Miley {of course... *rolling eyes*} and I said "no, Arielle Lorraine."

    The reason this is funny is because his aunt's name (whom he was very close with) was Lorraine and Lorraine's granddaughter's name (greg's cousin) is Arielle.

    Just seemed like a funny coincidence.

    Anyway, she is beautiful and can't wait to hear more! congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's gorgeous Kameron!!! Great job Momma! WOW! Only 6 hours and no tears and NO DRUGS?!?! AMAZING!

    Second time around sure is easier, that's for sure! Nice to feel like a baby-pro, eh?

    I am green with envy over here, by the way! I'm DYING for another baby. DYING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your new little sweetheart! She is absolutely a doll...that last picture is way too cute! Love the one with your son too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you had a great birth experience. What a big girl! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great read here at 4:30am in the morning! Or anytime for that matter.

    Congrats Kam on the healthy and safe delivery of your little girl. I cant believe she was so big! I thought Will was big and he was only 8 14. Carey tore all up so its almost crazy that you didnt tear at all.

    So happy for you guys. I know Natey will be such a great big brother to her.

    Love and Prayers,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  14. UGH! She is SO cute!

    look at those cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. UGH! She is SO cute!

    look at those cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is beautiful! I love the pic of her and Natey- they look alot alike! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Kameron, she is just gorgeous! I love your birth story, you are one tough mama!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! She is beautiful! She looks like a little Natey. I'm super proud of you....if we decide to have another, I want you to come and be my doula (I'm determined if there is a next time, I will go natural). Also super impressed you didn't tear with that big of a baby! (I ended up having an epidural at 8cm, refused an episitomy, but ended up tearing so much at the end the doctor said he had no choice but to cut. It took forever for me to recover from that tear!)

    Anyway, enough of my rambling. You are sure causing lots of baby fever across the blogging world with that sweet little thing! You know, each post now must contain pictures of her!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats Kameron!! She is absolutely beautiful and I am so glad that you had a good birth experience! Can't wait to meet her in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice work! i TOTALLY want to squeeze her! so good to hear that you're enjoying your baby girl!

    and...how do you pronounce her name? air-ee-elle? or ah-ree-elle? or dah-nuh-tella?

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic story!!! So wonderful to hear that it went so well. You are so brave!! I wanted every drug for miles around when I was induced. And then as luck would have it, the epidural didn't work. But that HURT LIKE HELL!! I am so praying that next time I have a working epidural. You are sooooo brave. Seriously.

    She is SUCH a doll!

    and omg you look so fantastic after just having her! I looked like... EWWWW. EW EW EW. *shudder*

    Just thinking about those pics from the day Monkey was born makes me cringe.

    congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the update! I was wondering how you were doing, and how Natey was adjusting. Glad to hear it is all well. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yahoo! So glad to hear the great news and see pictures of your precious little girl. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Congrats! Just came across your blog and wanted to share my site with you since you have a little girl! Were having a great sale plus free stuff for orders over $20! Hope youll check it out! :)
    Thanks!
    www.Sugarandspice1.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats!
    I went away on my trip to Georgia for Thanksgiving and you go and have your baby girl! Woohoo!
    She's beautiful, Kameron :)
    You are now a family of 4!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats again, Kameron! Glad to hear everything is going so smoothly. The pictures are adorable, especially the one of Natey touching his baby sister's cheek. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness! What a beautiful little girl!!! She is just perfect!
    I'm glad everything went well and is going well at home. What a way to kick of the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  28. She's so gorgeous! Congrats! Heh, your post made me tear up a bit - you have gorgeous babies!

    (Here via AssertaGirl by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!! She is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. She's so beautiful she reminds me of that old poem which has a part that says "Monday's child is fair of face". We are so happy for this wonderful addition to the family. Can't wait to meet her. Love, Aunt Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am totally crying as I sit here and read this post, Kameron. Arielle is beautiful. Such a wonderful little girl delivered to your family right before Thanksgiving.

    Ah, so, so sweet. Enjoy your holiday season.

    I have to go and find Kleenex now.

    xoxoxo

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations! She is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, she's beautiful Kameron! Congratulations! We also have a new little girl in our family. My little niece was born yesterday.

    So glad everything went well and I hope you and little Arielle continue to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. congrats! she is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

    She is sooo sweet and LOVE seeing Natey with her, he looks so gentle too!!!

    I'm glad that none of us got the guesses right, that means that the MS Society will do something great with that money in honor of Arielle and you Mom!!!

    Way to go Kam..No Drugs...WHAT EVA!!! Im not jealous of that in the slightest! Great story..and THANK YOU for blogging so soon, we were all DYING for the pics after Heather told us the good news!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great birth story and she is definitely well worth the wait! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Matchless topic, it is interesting to me))))

    ReplyDelete

  38. ray-ban sunglasses, http://www.raybansunglass.com.au/
    valentino shoes, http://www.valentinooutlet.us.com/
    ralph lauren,polo ralph lauren,ralph lauren outlet,ralph lauren italia,ralph lauren sito ufficiale
    ralph lauren outlet, http://www.ralphlaurenoutletuk.org.uk/
    insanity workout, http://www.insanityworkout.us.com/
    air jordan 4, http://www.airjordan4.org/
    lacoste polo shirts, http://www.lacostepoloshirts.cc/
    true religion jeans, http://www.truereligionoutletstore.us.com/
    nike roshe run, http://www.rosherunshoessale.com/
    bears jerseys, http://www.chicagobearsjerseys.us/
    gucci, http://www.borseguccioutlet.it/
    patriots jerseys, http://www.newenglandpatriotsjerseys.us/
    michael kors outlet online, http://www.michaelkors-outlets.us.com/
    mulberry outlet, http://www.mulberryoutlet.com.co/
    nike foamposite, http://www.foampositeshoe.net/
    north face outlet store, http://www.thenorthfaceoutletstores.org/
    longchamp outlet, http://www.longchampoutlet.name/
    mlb jerseys, http://www.cheapmlbjerseys.net/
    lebron shoes, http://www.lebronjames.us.com/
    longchamp outlet store, http://www.longchampoutlet.name/
    ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
    lebron shoes, http://www.lebronjamesshoes.in.net/
    michael kors outlet, http://www.michaelkorsfactoryoutlet.us.org/
    adidas wings shoes, http://www.adidaswings.net/
    minnesota vikings jerseys, http://www.minnesotavikingsjersey.us/
    michael kors uk, http://www.michaelkorshandbag.co.uk/
    michael kors canada, http://www.michaelkorsoutletcanada.in.net/
    ralph lauren shirts, http://www.poloralphlaurenshirts.us.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. apprendre ceci ici maintenant YSL Dolabuy contenu Dolabuy Goyard à propos de son Dolabuy Fendi

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??