Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Two birds gardens with one stone goal


Well, actually it is 2 goals. I have never been good at making up clever titles to these posts. Oh well!

I have been lagging a bit in the posting department because I have been way too busy and way too tired lately. This pregnancy is really kicking my tuckus, I tell ya. I get home from work and have to corral crazy Natey until bed time and by the time I get him down I am so zapped I can barely keep my eyes open. I am hoping to strike some kind of balance soon.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I have 2 goals on my 101 that, now that I think about it, could have been one goal. I wanted to plant an herb garden and a vegetable garden. I think I had originally planned to try the herbs first and then progress to the veggies, but I jumped right in all at once and we built 2 raised bed gardens in our back yard. This project has taken about 3 weeks from start to finish because of the a fore mentioned busy and tiredness! One weekend we got the boxes built, the next day we managed to get them filled with the soil. They sat filled but devoid of plants for almost 2 weeks. We got the seedlings on a Sunday and kept them in trays on our deck for 4 days before I realized that, if we didn't plant them, they were all going to die. We got one box sectioned off and the saddest of the seedlings transplanted and then it took 2 more days to get the other box planted.
I was a little worried about the lettuce. Some of them were so wilted from the heat that we had for a couple of days, but as soon as we got them planted they came back to life! So here's what we planted:
For herbs we've got parsley, basil, cilantro and rosemary (in a separate pot), chives and oregano. Boston leaf, red leaf and romaine lettuces. Broccoli, cauliflower, beets, spinach, red onions and sweet onions.
The other box has 4 different kinds of tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, jalapenos, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, sweet Italian pepper, cucumbers and pole beans.
I am so excited to have gotten this project done, even if it did take me 3 times as long as I would have liked. I guess sometimes I think I should be able to do everything and not have to slow down. I am learning that not every pregnancy is the same and, for this one, I have to take things a little more slowly...even if it does drive me crazy! Now, if I can just keep Natey from pulling my plants out {it's happened twice already} we'll be ok!

15 comments:

  1. Very nice!! We are just doing containers this year, I really hope to have a full garden going next year - the yard just isn't ready yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice garden! I wish you luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom...who lives a block away just planted hers today and I cannot wait to steal...I mean harvest some of her yummy veggies! Looks like you are well on your way to a fresh garden salad this summer! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! That is a wonderful accomplishment off of your goal list and it looks so good!

    YUM - Your going to be cooking up all sorts of healthy "organic" stuff that's great for your whole family including your little baby bean. :o)

    Hope you get some of your energy back soon. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gardens look lovely. We put in garden beds this year for the first time, too.

    I hope your energy levels pick up soon. If they don't, just chill as much as you can and don't fret over it. In the grand scheme, a few months won't much matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man...i'm feeling it. that little tickle of inspiration!!

    i should totally plant a garden!!

    after i throw this at him...jake is REALLY gonna hate me bloggin' so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your gardens! It will be worth all the time and energy it took when everything comes up and you have tons of fresh herbs and veggies all summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you! I would totally kill anything that I tried to plant. I would love to have a garden, but I know that it would be a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love my own garden. Maybe I can talk Superman into doing something like that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those look awesome and I can't believe how many different things you planted!

    Jon plowed me a place in our back yard last summer and this year too, but we never planted anything... I'm not much of a veggie person but I am trying (and trying to make sure Drew doesn't end up as picky as me!) so a fresh veggie garden would probably be good for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I can't believe you have ALL THAT in those 2 beds! That's incredible! And amazing you got it done with how you've been feeling. I have 1 raised bed and love the idea of herbs and veggies, but I don't think cat poop makes a very good fertilizer. Hmmm. We have strawberries in it now and I hope they'll just take over so the cats can't get in at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are totally kicking my tukus on the whole gardening thing!!! Even preggers you have got me beat! Way to go momma....for realz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on knocking out another goal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I'm super impressed, Kam! And more than a little jealous. LOL

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??