Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Walk in the Park

This weekend I wanted to get out of the house and enjoy as much of the outdoors as possible before it gets too cold here. Unfortunately is was raining on and off Saturday, but Sunday was gorgeous. Saturday night we took Nathan to the Armenian festival. This is his 3rd time going! His first time was in the womb. I got sick and wasn't sure if it was from the food or if it was my one and only bout of morning sickness! Hmm, you decide. Last year he was 5 months old and was happily passed around to my MIL's friends and relatives. The poor kid's cheeks were all pinched out after that experience. This year (at 16 months) he got to sample some of the food. He ate up the shish kebab and rice pilaf and of course he loved the sweets! He tried baklava and kataifi (chopped nuts inside shredded wheat soaked in honey). It took a while for my hubby to get back with the food and the only thing that kept Natey busy was the stupid Boobah book I had bought him and the old lady that was sitting next to us had a cane he was very intrigued with. Luckily he managed to not freak out because he was hungry and held captive in his stroller until the food arrived.
After we ate, I let him run me around for a little while. His complete lack of stranger anxiety is amazing to me. He took off running and probably had no idea that I was following close behind him the whole time. I wonder what he would have done if I hid and he turned around and I wasn't there. I'd like to think he would be a little scared, but I doubt it. He'd probably just find the closest lady and hop right up in her lap. I can see it now...

"Are you my mother??"

**********************************************************
On Sunday I made it a point to get us all out of the house and let my border collie-esk son run around to expend a little of his energy. We went to Roger Williams park and I was so excited to see they had completely re-done the playground! Hasbro is located in Pawtucket, RI and they fund a playground inside the park. It was in a state of minor disrepair so they closed it for a month and now it is all brand new. Nathan ran amok inside and tried to go on all of the equipment that was way too big for him. He has no fear. We went down the highest slide and he "weeee-d" all the way down and then shouted "gen!" (again) when we were finished. He had a lot of fun and it will be so much more fun for me him once he is big enough to climb everything by himself.
After we finished up at the playground, we headed over to where the geese and ducks were hanging out. I hate birds. They are pretty much the grossest creatures in my eyes; right up there with rats. In fact, I think I would rather have a rat for a pet than a bird. I digress. So another kid's dad gave us some bread to feed to the birds with {thanks friendly guy, now my kid's going to get pecked to death}! Nathan couldn't seem to throw it far enough away from him and the geese kept getting too close. I was prepared to kick one if need be, but I decided to cut that part of the activity short instead and move along to the carousel.


Nathan loved the carousel. He has been on it 2 other times, but this is the first time he has shown any real interest or delight at being on the ride. He "e-haw'd" until the ride came to a stop. It only took Aaron about 10 times around to get a decent picture of the boy. I almost wanted to snatch the camera as we whizzed by so I could do it myself. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?
After we got home from the park we all desperately needed a nap, so nap we did! We had a great weekend and I really hope the weather holds out a little longer. I'm not ready for snow boots and scarves just yet!

7 comments:

  1. I swear your little boy get's cuter and cuter in each and every picture. Looks like you guys had a blast!! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love that playground - it is definitely one of my favorites. I didn't know they were doing repairs (we haven't been in a while)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time! I love his curls. So cute! My favorite picture is the first one. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds fun...my little one had curls just like that when he was that age. i'm proud to say that he still has curly hair and i love it. people think he's a girl all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mommy pants, you always have so many comments on your posts!! You're getting REALLY good at those angled shots! i love them. I can never figure out how to do them right.

    So I can't believe you're MAKING Aidan something... whatever it is, no matter HOW it turns out, I will be completely impressed. I've been thinking about buying a plain onesie and trying my hand at iron-ons again! heehee

    Oh, about Twilight... I WAS going to see it with my friend after it was out for awhile, but I just talked to her and she's probably going to see it over Thanksgiving (with her husband!), so let's see when you're here!! I'm sure Kat will go too! Should I buy tickets? I'm not really an opening-night/crowded theater girl, so I'd love to go during the morning/day when it's less crowded. Maybe Saturday after our pictures? Oh, my friend said the Yuen Lui sessions are only about 20 minutes. Geez. I hope our boys smile!! Mine will probably cry. I can just see it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! We love RW Park too and my kids love the Hasbro playground! We were bummed the last time we went and they were closed. Good to know they are open again. We do the same things every time we go - playground, carousel, walk over to feed the ducks ;) Glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??