Saturday, December 27, 2008

What I Got


I went to my second concert last night (Goal #19: Attend 3 concerts)! You'd think, for a girl that had been to 1 concert in the last 3 years, it would take me the entire 1001 days to achieve my goal of attending 3 concerts. It seems I may finish this goal rather early! The first concert was, of course, Coldplay for my birthday in October. Last night we went to see Badfish at Lupo's.

Badfish is a cover tribute band to Sublime, and I love Sublime, so I jumped at the idea of seeing them. I saw Sublime in concert in high school. I still remember it like it was yesterday. December 2, 1995. My senior year of high school. I was such a goodie-two-shoes, so a Sublime concert was definitely stepping out of my range of normal at that time. I guess it was the beginning of me stepping out of my range of normal...for a few crazy years. Anyway, I digress.

When I told Aaron I wanted to go see this band at Lupo's, let's just say, he was less than thrilled. He is not a big fan of sardine-like crowds or standing to watch concerts. I told him that, even though Joelle and I had seats at Coldplay, we didn't sit down once. Um, he was still unconvinced, but he agreed to go anyway. It was Joelle's birthday so her husband had no grounds to object and the 4 of us went.

We decided to go out to dinner before the concert so we met up at Mediterraneo for some wine and way-too-freaking-expensive-especially-right-after-Christmas good food. After we left the restaurant, we embarked on the park-a-thon that happens any time you want to go anywhere in downtown Providence. This consists of driving around the same few blocks of one way streets surrounding your destination, for what seems like forever trying to find a place to park. After about 15 minutes we managed to find a spot because of my hawk eyes (yes, this time I used the saying appropriately) and went in for the show!

I had never been to Lupo's before so I was unaware that it wasn't an out of diapers yet kind of crowd. Seriously, we were probably the oldest 4 people in there! Most of these kids were probably embryos when Sublime came out. The bright side was we were able to post up at the middle bar, which is raised above the floor in front of the stage. We had to let the occasional person in to get a drink, but we had the perfect vantage point for the concert. Plus, I didn't almost get my ribs broken, like the first Sublime concert I went to (did I mention I was in the 2nd row the first time??). Sadly this is the only picture I got of the whole outing since I forgot my camera {bad blogger!!} and had to take this shot with the hubby's new phone.

We had a good time. Aaron even surprised me by getting into it and dancing and singing along. I will attribute that to the amount of adult beverages he imbibed, but he had fun just the same. This is the latest we've been out in forever, 1am! We grabbed some nasty Whopper juniors on the way home to prevent the inevitable hangover of the next morning and got home to relieve the grandparents. I was super tired the next morning but feeling great otherwise. Only one more concert and goal 19 bites the dust! Something tells me that I won't have any problems with this goal...unlike number 38.

11 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! Glad you got to have a date night of sorts and see an awesome concert! Merry Christmas! (Can I still say that? It still feels like Christmas time =)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that was a blast!! Glad you had a fantastic time. Hope you and the family had a wonderful Christmas. I'm just now getting around to reading blogs.. Geesh, I'm way behind. :o) enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too fun!! I actually tickets to this show the other day but sadly Dan wanted nothing to do with it. Glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a blast and it is totally ok to treat yourself to some really expensive food once in a while...and a concert to boot...Awesome! How Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ain't got no crystal ball, but I bet you were dancing up a storm too :) Hopefully you didn't encounter severn angry brothers in the crowd either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the concert stuff...I am glad that you are doing that for yourself! And the expensive food...YUM! Ahh, I remember Sublime...man, I am getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like FUN! The last non-christian concert I went to was Goo Goo Dolls and Hoobastank at the HOB in LA. I won the trip and tickets and got to meet most of the band. It was a blast! Gppd for you, for going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have almost abandoned my 1001 goals! Not really, but I haven't kept track of my working out at all. And vacuuming and changing the kitty box are stupid. So I'm just gonna concentrate on things like seeing concerts or going on trips. But I've still been flossing my teeth everyday since I started - woohoo!!

    Love the "out of diapers" comment... that's how I feel when I'm at the mall! Glad you had fun and got a night out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand what you mean about being the oldest people there. When I was in med school a few of us went to a club and seriously most of the people there looked like they were in Junior High!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??