Tuesday, December 9, 2008

She's Crafty

As if I haven't had enough going on lately.....

{Let me recap my last 3 1/2 weeks. I appliqued 3 onesies (2 for Aidan and 1 or Natey). I packed all 3 of us up, and flew to Oregon. Drove to Washington, spent time with family. Drove back to Oregon, cooked Thanksgiving dinner and spent more time with family. Flew back to Boston. Had 1 day to "relax", which we spent cleaning and repacking. Woke up at 4am, managed to blog, fly to Colorado, went straight to work when I got there. Stayed there, working, for 5 days. Flew back to Boston. Went shopping for all of the stuff I needed. Made a diaper cake, appliqued 3 onesies and 1 toddler shirt and had to bring them to work on Monday for our Arts and Crafts exhibit.}

Whew...

Yes, some would call me crazy. When I volunteered for this exhibit I did not have the business trip stuck in between our vacation and the show. I thought I would have plenty of time to work on all of the projects by the 8th. Lets just say that I had to enlist the help of my wonderful husband to get all of it done. He rolled and put elastics around 75 infant diapers, helped me put the diaper cake together and even ironed the wonder under to the back of the fabric and cut out some of the shapes for me so I could finish in time. I had originally wanted to do 6 items, but only got 4 done instead. Luckily I had my first test onesie to add to the bunch. I think for my first exhibit, it turned out pretty well. What about you?
I had a hot glue party with the ribbons. All of them were plain so I added the cutesie stripe and the pretties in the middle to make bows. This was only the second diaper cake I have ever made. The first one was for my friend Ariana's baby shower. I learned a lot of lessons by making that first one. I guess the biggest lesson was that hot glue is your friend. Don't be afraid to use it!

I had an entire 6 foot table to set up and I had to get creative since I didn't have as much stuff as I planned. Let me preface this by saying that we aren't allowed to buy or sell anything on site so we had to include outside contact info if people wanted to buy our crafts. I thought the table looked a little bare so I decided to make some "business cards" out of some polka dotted note cards I had. I just cut the cards in half and printed and glued my info on the inside! I also put pictures of Natey and Aidan (check out Heather here) wearing onesies I had made, so they acted as my oh-so-adorable mini models!


I love that I am finally channeling the crafty girl that has been locked in the dungeon of my analytical brain for all these years!! I must say, I am so inspired by all of you amazing ladies who are such naturally talented artists. I have heightened my interest of photography, sewing and crafting since I started blogging. Thank you to all of you who have encouraged me, even if you didn't know it!

18 comments:

  1. DAMN KAMERON! You are incredibly talented!!!!!! Holy cow! You should SOOOOO do a Ebay store or Etsy shop for your onesies for sure because I WANT SEVERAL!!!! Esp the tie and initial one. I LOVE THEM. ;o) Your work is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tie onsie came out great...I think I will finally try to do one myself this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! That's awesome! I used to do that stuff for my little ones, but now they're not so little anymore...they won't wear my crafty creations. Mine never looked like that though! And...I've always thought those diaper cakes were cheesy...UNTIL I saw yours...those are too cute! You have redeemed them in my eyes!!!!

    I agree with everyone else on the tie onsie and you could make a killing with an Etsy shop...or an eBay store!

    Great job, Kam...they're gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!! If I had a baby I buy some from ya!

    LORI

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!!! You rock! I love, LOVE the diaper cake. Even cuter than the first - and that was hard to top! I wish I had taken a "normal" picture of Aidan in the tree onesie (one where he doesn't look dead!). haha But fun he made the table!! All the new onesies turned out so cute! Sounds like you could really make a business out of them!! In fact, I'd like to put in an order for some initials onesies... any chance I could get one before Christmas??? Or actually, Dec. 22nd? I'm doing a little gift exchange with my friend Marie and would love one for her daughter Eilis. Ooh, and another for my friend Christy's daughter!! Let me make sure what size they are. And let me know what you'd charge for the onesies, the work, and the shipping!! Not to make more work for you, but I know they'd love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am lost for words!! I love them so much the tie one is so cutie. I always wanted a sewing machine ever sence i was little and your making it so easy. You might of given me that inspiration!! Were do you finded big sized onesies with long sleves? I can't find any size over 12 months. we need to get to gether soon with the boys Aiden is crawling all over the place they would have fun to gether now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally want a t-shirt for my son with the tie on it...how much? YOu did awesome and everything was so cute...I want it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's time for you to set up your Etsy shop! Your table looks so profressional! And there is no doubt about it, you are naturally gifted in the crafty area. Where do you come up with all the ideas for the great detail work? Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and I sent out a quick little "tweet" on Twitter to rave about your designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Tie onesie...so cute...do you make them in regular sizes...like 2 for my boys and 1 for my hubby...and maybe one for me with a "pretend" pearl necklace? W/ green or red or yellow circles? Seriously. I am not kidding...I want it!!! =) Email me!!! Love love love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job! All of the onesies are so cute!! I agree with everyone else, you should open up a shop at ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of those onsies look adorable, you're very talented! The cake looks amazing too, I made one of those once and it looked more like a pile of laundry than anything else. You definitely need an etsy shop!.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok...so seeing your onsies yesterday lit the needed fire under my butt...you should see the fabric I bought from Jo-Ann's (there is one I think you would really like). I am just hoping I can get my stitch to go around the curves as smoothly as you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I LOVE those diaper cakes but the onesies rock my SOCKS!! The one with the tie is freakin' adorable!!

    Can't wait til Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhh, are you selling the shirts now???? I might be needing some if you are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've made a few of these cakes but none a pretty of yours..very nice!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??