Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo!

Having grown up in Southern California I have an appreciation wonderful, authentic Mexican food. It has been rough living in New England where some people's idea of a taco is sloppy Joe in a tortilla. I miss walking through old town San Diego and getting a carne asada or shrimp taco in a homemade corn or flour tortilla from a truck parked on the street. My mouth is seriously watering just thinking about it. I have had to learn to make much of my own Mexican food and have found a couple of places in my area that can satisfy my cravings. I've decided to share a few links of recipes that I've tried out so you can create your own Mexican fiesta!

Tamales: My H.S. boyfriend's mom taught me how to make tamales. She would make them every Christmas. They are a lot of work, but are sooo worth it!

Guacamole: I have tried all kinds of guacamole. The store bought guac just doesn't do it for me, so I learned how to make my own and you can too. It is really easy and people love it!

Carne asada tacos: In the same post where I made the guac, I have a recipe for an awesome marinade for skirt steak that makes slammin carne asada tacos!

Taquitos: For those of you who have never heard of a taquito, you are missing out. People thought it was a drink when I asked them for some. Anywho. Taquitos are delicious with either shredded beef or chicken. Here is a recipe for chicken taquitos that are awesome!

Flour tortillas: Do yourself a favor and just once make flour tortillas from scratch. They are divine. Oh and try to ignore the fact that you have ot buy lard to make them....it doesn't matter....delicious!

Green Chile Enchiladas: I have my own version that is similar to this that I will have to post sometime soon, but for now these are good too!

So get into your kitchen and try making your own Mexican food. It isn't as hard as it seems and it is delicious. Now, if you live in Southern California, just go buy yourself food any one of the million places that is awesome...I just don't have that luxury these days!

7 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm....Mexican food. I do my best to make my own at home - but, its just not the same as a good Mexican restaurant. Which, are few and extremely far between where I live.

    BTW - you owe me a salsa recipe. Please....save me from continuing to buy it in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an area in Detroit called Mexican Town - awesome, authentic food and grocery stores. And I'm actually eating a quesidialla for lunch right now :) Happy Cinco de Mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya girl. I miss Tex Mex SO bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mexican in my favorite! My husband lived in Mexico for 6 months and he will only eat authentic Mexican and it's hard to find that in Pa. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mexican food! We have an authentic Mexican restaurant nearby, and the food is so good!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??