Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I AM a runner

Just a few short weeks ago, I was still not convinced that I was a "runner". I ran, but I couldn't be classified as a true runner. I ran my 11 mile training run along side marathoners running the Cox marathon and I saw the ones in the lead. They ran with no water bottles, no music and they all bounced like gazelles down the bike bath. I am not graceful, I need my hydration and I definitely need motivation in the form of "I'm sexy and I know it" blaring through my headphones, but damn it, I am a runner....and so is Liz.


We ran the Blackstone Valley half marathon on the 20th! We trained for 12 weeks and we got through that 13.1 miles. Does that make us runners? Heck yes it does. Well, that and the fact that we are crazy enough to sign up for another half marathon in September!


Inspired by a fellow blogger Elaine, I asked people to pick a mile. I wanted to have even more inspiration to get through that run. I wrote down every one's name and I carried the paper in my race pack. I took it out every 4 miles to remind myself who i was running for next. It really helped come mile 11 when I thought I was too tired to keep up my pace!
We were tired, Liz had hurt her knee, but we had medals around our necks!
You can't see our shirts but they say,

We came. We ran. We conquered. 13.1
We ARE runners!


18 comments:

  1. Yes! You are runners! Congratulations to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE A RUNNER!!! Kameron, you look fab out there and that's an AMAZING accomplishment. I truly love the idea of having people choose a mile. So cool and if I ever run more than 3 miles, I'll try it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, runner!! Congrats again. And thanks for running Mile 8 for me (Yo Detroit). I think I will have to steal that idea fir my upcoming half, if I make it through the hit training weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS!! What an accomplishment, seriously! You and Liz are adorable too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Liz, most definitely, are runners!! You are awesome and inspiring. GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha...you ran the 8 Mile for Brooke - that's just funny!!

    So now lets start training for the next one, hopefully I get the ok tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You SO are!! I'm just in awe of your training and your time!

    Thanks for the shout out. Glad I could be a little part of your awesomeness. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are runners for sure! Glad I could "be there" st mile 11!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off... how the hell do you two look so great while exercising??? I m always a frizzy haired, sweaty, scowling mess.

    But, seriously, you guys are an inspiration. I love it when I see you guys talking about your runs... it keeps me motivated. While I am definitely not a runner, it keeps me motivated to keep my exercise going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, i'm a huge dork, but this post caused me to have tears in my eyes. I'm so proud of you guys!! You're runners. That's awesome! You're an inspiration to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny how you can run that much, yet not feel like a runner??? Someone called me a runner the other day and I was like "I won't be runner till I finish my half." Seriously so freaking proud of you and your hard work!!!! Congrats again!!! I cannot wait for mine in September!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anybody who runs for that long is a superstar in my book. One day, when I have time to train, I'll give a half marathon a try, and hopefully not die from it. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So awesome! I am in training now for my first half marathon (RnR Providence in August) and I'm so excited and nervous. I have only been attempting to run since the fall so I agree with your statement that I don't feel like a runner. But I am running! Congratulations on 13.1 - so wonderful! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??