Monday, March 22, 2010

Be Prepared

I think I have to blame my mom for not letting me be a girl scout. If I had the opportunity as a child, I might not be quite as spacey as I am today. I would always be prepared. I might always have a stocked purse with every item known to man in it. I might remember to bring a diaper bag with me on outings. That's right folks; I forgot the diaper bag again. This time there was no turning back. We were already at our destination when I realized it was missing...15 minutes away from home.


I took the kids to meet up with our friends at a park that is a ways from our house. We arrived and, as I pulled the baby out of her seat, I smelled it. The unmistakable smell of a poopy diaper. No biggie, I'll just change her before we head into the park. I reach into the back seat where the diaper bag should be, but there was nothing there. {Thank you honey for being such a helper and bringing the bag in the house} Oh and thank you laws of the universe because, this time, we had a blowout. A leaking diaper, no wipes, no clean diapers and no change of clothes. CRAP!! (literally) Luckily my friend's son isn't fully potty trained yet and she had wipes and a diaper. It was a size 5 diaper, meant for a 2 year old, but hey it was a diaper! I improvised. I got her changed and cleaned her shirt off as best I could. I pulled her pants up to cover it, put her in the Ergo and off we went.

I'm glad this wasn't my first rodeo or I might have started crying and just gone home. You get wiser with each kid, and maybe a bit more relaxed. The moral of the story? Always have friends that are more with it than you (oh and hide the damn diaper bag in the back of the car so your husband STOPS bringing it in the house!!!!!!!)!

12 comments:

  1. if my mom had let me be a girl scout...i would be fat!! cuz their cookies are GOOD!!!

    glad you survived the s***storm! cuz, ya know...s*** happens. and when you have kids (especially little babies), s*** happens A LOT...A REALLY, REALLY LOT!

    oh...put a diaper and some wipes in the glove box! and a onesie, if you're really on the ball!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, have I been there! You are SO right about it being better with the second child. First time you freak, the next you can laugh...and blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Funny, but not really funny. When T was a new baby, we were running errands before heading to a friend's house about 20 minutes from our house. On one of our errand stops, I hoped in the back to nurse T. She had a blow-out. No problem. I had diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes for her. Only thing missing? Change of clothes for me since I was nursing her when it happened. Needless to say, there was no improvising with that one. Had to go back home, and I stayed there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. After Actress had at the mall where she fell in the fountain. I vowed to always have a box of spare clothes in the car. I have kept that up for 8 years now and it has come in handy. Each child has a full set of spare clothes including undies and socks. It is in a neat box tucked in the back of the van...I have rescued many a friends with my spare clothes as well as supplied for impromptu sleep overs. I also have that travel wipe box inbetween the two front seats for spills and dirty faces:) You definitely learn the more you have:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha...I have yet to make that mistake. I always make sure to have the diaper bag with extras of everything. I'm hoping to learn from your mistake and not the hard way. I had a family member give me several boxes of size four diapers that they had gotten for free. Last week, Olivia ran out of diapers and it was pouring rain and I did not feel like going to get her size 3's, so she's still in the too huge size four diapers as we speak. I'm just too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a mess! I'm glad you were able to improvise.
    Toss a few diapers, wipes, and an extra outfit in the car so you don't have to worry if you forget the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has happened to us! Only Jack had a blowout and we only had one of Cade's diapers (size 6). It was huge but hey - we're all about improv over here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has happened to us! Only Jack had a blowout and we only had one of Cade's diapers (size 6). It was huge but hey - we're all about improv over here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That has never happened to me yet *knock on wood* But I am petrified for the day it does!

    Your new page looks FANTASTIC!! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL!!! That happened to me at Wendy's. B had poop EVERYWHERE and it was lunch rush. Gag. So gross and me, the idiot with no diaper. My friend had wipes so I wiped him up, wrapped him in a blanket (oh, it was the dead of winter. Another good mom award.) and drove home.

    Yay me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had to take #1 home from Legal Seafood wearing a burp cloth. MAJOR blow out. She was six days old. Nobody told me I needed extra clothes. She was mortified. It was awesome.

    Am I going to see those RED numbers on SHOESday?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We walk to the park without a diaper bag all the time, and just today my friend had to rescue me with wipes because both of my children managed to coat their hands and faces in "sand" (or some substance we really shouldn't let them play in, even it's technically in a sandbox). My mom wouldn't let me be a girl scout either. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??