Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What do you do with a climber?

Two and a half years. That was how long Natey slept in his crib until he got kicked out for his sister to move into it. He would have gladly stayed longer. He loved his "cribby". As crazy as my son was, not once did he ever climb out of it.

Arielle is a climber. I constantly find her scaling furniture and attempting to run along the TOP of my couch. I literally can't take my eyes off of her. These Evil Knievel-esk antics have not been without consequence. She has had 2 large goose eggs on her forehead from climbing and falling off of something. Still, she doesn't learn.

The other night, I was baking some delicious chocolate chip zucchini muffins, and playing a game of chicken with my I-don't-want-to-go-to-bed-so-I-will-scream-until-I-get-my-way toddler. I kept going in to check on her. I would lay her down and she would be quiet for 1 second before she realized that I wasn't going to pick her up. I would leave, she would start screaming again. This awesome fun went on for almost an hour. Finally the screaming stopped. I turned in the direction of her room to make sure I couldn't hear anything and there she was with her squinty red eyes and tear-stained face, standing in my kitchen. So there you have it folks. My 19 month old can climb out if her crib. She's done it 2 more times since last week. I don't want her getting hurt so I am forced to take some action.

I don't know what to do with such a young one in a bed, but I don't want to waste money on a crib tent if it is just going to tick her off even more and end in more screaming. What do I do? Bed or crib tent? Help me!

8 comments:

  1. I would go for a crib tent if its not too expensive - as for it pissing her off even more...I think if you put it up and give it a few days she will get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annika was my climber... at about the same age. We went for the crib tent, for her safety (and our sanity). Oddly, she LOVED it... she would even screech if you forgot to zip it.

    With that said, Acadia will be 3 in 2 weeks and has not tried yet.

    I do think it's a waste of money if she hates it though. Send me your address and I will ship mine to you if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mother of a former climber (at 18 months old) who chose the toddler bed route, I would strongly recommend the tent. Otherwise there is a good chance you might be sleeping on the floor next to said toddler bed every night for the next six months waiting for your toddler to fall asleep...

    The mesh crib tents are pretty cool, and totally worth it if it works even for a month. I think I would have saved myself a lot of stress if I had just gotten one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, not funny, but kind of funny...I can totally picture it. I had a climber. I put a hook and eye on the outside of his door so I knew he wouldn't get out of his room in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olivia is a climber too, but surprisingly has never once tired to climb out of her crib, so I'm hoping we still have another year. I have no clue what would be best. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'd say crib tent. i know there's no way either of mine would have stayed in a toddler bed at that point! kellan's a climber, too, but he hasn't been able to climb out of his crib. i know the day is probably coming that he'll figure it out! i wish you luck and sleep!

    and thanks for the comments! i agree with the "living the moments and not stressing about writing" thing. i've had to force myself to put down the camera and just go play with the kids, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read an article saying that crib tents are now considered a danger due to being a strangulation hazard. We did try one for Dylan when he started climbing out at 10 months, but he figured out how to unzip it and climb out! He was in a bed by 15 months, and did great!
    Lexie would still happily sleep in her crib if she could! We only moved her to a bed last August!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to go for a crib tent for my little son:)

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??