Thursday, November 19, 2009

"Nesting"

I have given new meaning to the word "nesting". Most people equate nesting with organizing, cleaning and preparing their home for a new baby. Don't get me wrong, I have done my fair share of that in the past 2 weeks since I have been off of work, but I take the word to a whole new level! The "theme", if you will, of baby girl's room is birds. The inspiration for her room was the 2 yellow bird cages I found one Saturday while yard-saling. I wanted something sweet and girlie without gagging myself in pepto bismol pink so I painted her room a pale shade of limey green and the bedding takes care of the pink factor. I don't have the crib set up since Natey is still sleeping in it still, but here is what the bedding looks like.

About a year ago I saw a pattern to make fabric birds. Liz made one and I attempted to make one, but I tried to be all smarty pants and use my sewing machine, and it was fugly. Yeah, it didn't work. These babies need to be hand sewn. There was also a picture of a mobile made up of these birds. I thought it was the cutest idea but, not even being pregnant at the time, didn't really have a use for it. Fast forward a year and I had picked out the room decor and it just fell into place. I was meant to make one of these mobiles! It looked simple enough. Cut out coordinating fabric, enough for 11 birds. Sew and stuff birds. Sew birds to the sticks. Attach sticks together and hang. In reality it was "that easy" but VERY time consuming. It took me a total of 10 hours to finish this project!

Here are the birds just after I sewed them.

And here is the final product!!




I love how it turned out. The hardest thing was getting the branches balanced. I swear, if you ever make one of these start the balancing at the bottom! You can't really get a feel for the color of the room since I took these pictures with no natural light, but after the nursery is all put together I will do a post showing the whole thing!! Oh and baby girl, if you were waiting for me to finish this project before you arrived,
I'M DONE!!!! YOU CAN COME OUT NOW!!!!

30 comments:

  1. very very cute!!! Now your little birdie needs to come out!! (that's it I'm calling her "Birdie" :)

    I love the way it came out!! Now I really really need a girl so I can do something cute like that (I am currently trying to figure out what the heck to do to the boys room this spring/summer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so so cute. I can't wait to see the whole room. Love the comforter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bedding and the mobile looks awesome! The fact that you made it is what's the best though -- your're so darn crafty :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all just beautiful, but makes me feel extremely guilty that I haven't gotten my daughter's curtains (there is a shade) or cute little shelf hung yet. Or the painter's tape peeled off her light fixture. And she's almost 19 months old. Just this morning I charged up the drill again, knowing full well I wouldn't get around to it. My hat is off to you, you nesting fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CUTE! I love those birds!!! What a great idea and so uber-creative!

    (Came over here from Heather's blog, and glad I did!)

    Good luck with the soon-to-be arrival of your little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! That looks just too adorable. She'll have to come out and see what you've done.

    Does this mean you get to rest now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok that is the cutest mobile EVER? love that you handmade it:-) everything looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! It looks like something I'd buy from pottery barn because I have no natural talent like you! Can't wait to see the rest of the room.....or that baby for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH.MY.GOD. kam...those are sooo frickin' cute! i want one. for me. that is awesome!

    and i was cracking up at your bird arrangement pictures! you had all your birds in a row...in a flight pattern...and in a synchronized nose in, tail out pose!! hilarious!

    donnatella...dude...cut the cord already, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Kameron, those birds look amazing! I can't wait to see what the whole room looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is soo amazing. Amazing! I have been waiting, watching your tweets, and waiting to hear this baby girls birth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, if I end up having a girl, I guess I'll be copying you... I want to do birds too!! I saw these cool vintage-looking bird canvas prints at Target and fell in love. And the Dwell brand has some cute stuff. Now I'll just need one of those bird mobiles!! Wow, I am SO impressed. You are one crafty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are making me soooo jealous with these pics! Baby girl's room is super RAD. I love it!!!!!!!

    Off to give my BabyMama the guilt trip about the sad state of my room. I am clearly under-loved.

    Clearly.

    BlogBaby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some awesome birds! You are so freaking talented!!!! OK, little girl, let's make that debut already!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so cute!!! i LOVE the mobile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. (yes I'm still alive, sorry I don't visit much)

    That mobile has to be the cutest thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How adorable!! Looks amazing! Hopefully she is about ready to make her move (out that is) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so impressed, those birds are totally colorful and interesting to look at. Baby girl will be fascinated - hopefully she will come out to see what her talented mama has done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!! I love those birds...you did an amazing job on them. I cant wait to see pictures of your baby girl in her room.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So nice! You have some serious talent, lady!
    Let's hope the little one gets here. Today would be nice, right?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Kameron! Welcome to the world, Arielle. She's a big girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't twitter but I stalk you regularly so - Congrats Kam & Fam!! Welcome to the world sweet baby Ariells!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    She looks like Natey! Is that right?!?!


    Just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Popped in today to see if you'd had the baby yet, and it looks like you have!! Congrats!!!! She's so cute and I LOVE her name! WOW! She was pretty big too! You must be sore..... Take care and I can't wait to hear all about it when you get a chance to get back on the 'puter to post. But, that said, take your time and enjoy holding that baby! We will be able to wait a day or two (but no more than that! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  25. I go away and look what happens!!! I am soo excited for you! I love the paint and the mobile..you are soo CRAFTY!!! ;)

    Waiting patiently for a guest blogger (hubby)

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??