Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My son the caveman

My kid is a great eater...for the most part. I don't make separate meals for him if he doesn't want to eat what I prepare. If he doesn't eat, he must not be that hungry. I mean, look at him, he's not starving! Don't get me wrong, if I am cooking something that is not kid friendly, I will modify it for him. I make slammin spicy turkey tacos, but I just take his portion out before I add the jalapenos. I think the biggest fight we have is when it comes to eating meat. If it is all mixed together, like the tacos or cut up small and put in with the rice and veggies for chicken curry, he'll eat it. When it is in pieces and sitting by its lonesome on the plate he wants nothing to do with it. He'll always eat the breaded variety of anything, aka the dreaded chicken nuggets, but that was about it.

Until.....we discovered something by accident. Apparently my kid has a caveman gene. Yup, he'll eat any meat as long as it is attached to the bone. We first discovered this at my BIL's wedding. They had a picnic style lunch after the ceremony and they served smoked chicken legs. At 2 months shy of his 2nd birthday, Nate chowed that thing like there was no tomorrow. I had to wrestle the licked clean leg out of his hand before he started trying to suck the marrow out. {Sorry if I just totally icked out any vegetarians} Had I taken the meat off and offered that to him, he wouldn't have touched it! Next we discovered his love of "BBQ" (ribs) that he will only eat if we hand him the whole kit and caboodle.

The other night we made the discovery that this also applies to lamb. I have tried to serve it to him several times to no avail. I usually don't buy the rib chops, but they only had one pack of loin chops, so I got both. After fighting with him because he only wanted to eat his rice and asparagus, the hubbs suggested handing him the rib chop in its entirety. He ate 2 whole rib chops (not that they're that big) and was asking for more. Who knew that all of this time, the kid just wanted meat that had a handle?!

9 comments:

  1. How do you keep him from chomping down on the bone? I am having the same issue with Monkey. He will eat any fruit or veggie you put in front of him but meat is like NOT HAPPENING. So I would LOVE any advice. And Monkey is a TWIG. He is only in the 3rd percentile now. When he was born and for the first year he was in the 80th %. That kid baffles me. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would fall off my chair in shock if Aidan wanted to eat rice and asparagus!!! If he went for the lamp chop... WHOA. So glad Nate's just a great eater!! And hilarious that he's a caveman eater too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like gnawing the bone. I was the same way as a kid, and my daughter loves to gnaw the bone, too. Whatever it takes, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious! My brother is the same exact way. If my mom didn't take it away fast enough, he would eat the bone. I'm the complete opposite, I refuse to eat anything on the bone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's hysterical. My son is opposite. He will eat any meat but by itself on a plate, bone or not. But add it in with other stuff and fugghetaboutit.

    Hope all is well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just too crazy, but what ever works to get them to eat their meat. I have a non meat eater over here. Drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is hilarious! Drew's new thing is he'll eat stuff if he gets to use a fork. So with baked chicken, I cut it up into bite sized pieces and he'll fork it and dip it! Whatever works :)

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??