Thursday, August 26, 2010

Operation Purge: Part 1

 Moving to New England was a bit of a shock for this California girl. I am used to walk in closets, "bonus rooms", and huge garages which are all products of newer homes and apartments.  When we came to RI the first place we lived in was a second floor apartment in a 3 family home that was almost 80 years old. We had 2 closets, that were literally the size of the door, and not very deep. Our bathroom was in between the 2 bedrooms and had a pedestal sink and a small medicine cabinet. My first thought when I walked in was, "Where the heck am I going to put all of my stuff??!!". We ended up putting up closet rods and shelves in the spare bedroom and basically treating it like a giant closet. I told myself that when we moved into a house that was bigger all of my storage problems would be solved.

Enter our first house. The closet situation improved only slightly, but we had 3 bedrooms and a garage. We lived that whole first year with ample space then along came Natey. I'm convinced baby gear breeds like small rodents because it started filling up the house. We decided to turn our attached garage into a family room and boom, there went the storage. The guestroom bed was sold and the room was turned into my craft room/storage space. It wasn't ideal, but it worked and the clutter was once again at bay.

Cue baby number two and now all 3 bedrooms are filled with people. The things that were in storage in that room were shuffled onto a shelving unit in the boiler room, but there is very little space in there. My sewing machine, fabric and all that sewing entails (which is a lot of stuff by the way) were moved into the back corner of our unused formal living room. The clutter began to grow exponentially with 4 people, 2 of which are small beings which apparently require stores full of things that I have no place to put.

I am surrounded by clutter and I'm done. I need my space to be clean and organized again. My BIL, who inhabits our in-law apartment in the basement, is moving out in February. It would be easy just to move the clutter into the basement when he leaves, but that won't solve my problems.  Inspired by Michele, I started "Operation Purge" and my first victim was the bathroom. I'm pretty sure that I have never thrown away a single thing and somehow ended up with packed drawers and an overflowing medicine cabinet. I had items in there that expired in 2006!!! Seriously. All in all I got rid of 73 things from the drawers and cabinet.

I have honestly had most of these things for years!!! The nail polishes, foot cream and banana boat tanning oil are at least 7 years old...and probably haven't been used in over 5! The Theraflu was from 2004! It was ridiculous. My cabinet is so clean and all of the drawers are organized and not packed to the gills! It was freeing and now I am motivated to tackle the whole house a room at a  time.

Next stop....the dining room!

15 comments:

  1. Great job! Can you even believe when you look at that pile that its all completely useless to you? I am feeling so much better over the past few days about ridding myself of my useless things, and now to promise myself not to slowly build it back up again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! I love throwing stuff away. I do it all the time but somehow there is still always expired medicine and mustard in our house!

    Total side note, when you turned your garage into a living room did you carpet the floors? I want to turn our garage into a playroom/schoolroom but can't decide how to cover the floor. I'm thinking just paint and some space rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo hoo! I have done that too, when we remodeled. Then again this summer. Since I threw SO much out last summer? HOW did I have so much to throw out this summer as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO me! I just did my clothes this week - because it was driving me nuts to have stuff in drawers that I knew would never be worn again. Such a good feeling to have more space, right?!?

    Good luck with your next room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that feeling! i think i might do a little of it today, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! Good for you!!! But, really, where do you find the time to tackle a project like this? Because, this is so something that I need to do!

    Good Luck on your dining room! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job!! that's awesome and doesn't it feel good to purge random crap in the house??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It feels fantastic to purge and organize, doesn't it?!

    After living in the spare room for the past 3 years, while BigBoy lived in the palatial master suite, we finally did the big move this past weekend and scaled his things back to fit into the much smaller but more appropriate third bedroom. The whole switch was very exciting and we are all so much happier, even BigBoy whose accommodations were definitely a downsize for him...

    Oh and did I tell you that BlogBaby had her room re-organized too and is now sleeping in a big girl bed?? She is so happy!

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purging is free and I do it often! Ask my husband it drives him bananas. But I feel like clutter free means a less cluttered mind. At least for me. Good luck with the project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that was alot of stuff. Good for you. I so need to do this. Maybe when the kids get back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would die in RI. We have a 3-car garage and STILL have stuff overflowing. But we've been on an operation purge over here too. I did the bathroom products a couple years ago... same thing... lots of expired cold medicine and lotions I keep thinking I'll use, but know I won't. It's crazy. At least I'll never be as bad as the Hoarding show. Eek! Good luck with the dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, girl, I have been doing the same thing. It's hard and time consuming, but it's nice to have a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My apt in is the sameboat I need to get rid of things I don't use! Pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! It feels so good to get rid of stuff! I think I may just have to follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??