Friday, December 3, 2010

My "Elf on the Shelf" Karma


photo from here
Look at this guy. He's the Elf on the Shelf. He sits somewhere where he can see all of the goings on in your home. He watches your little ones and reports back to Santa if they have been bad or good. If they are bad the get no presents. What an ingenious idea, right?? What better way is there to get kids to behave than the threat of no presents? I bought into the hype, but it backfired on me. I realized this when the following statement was uttered from the lips of my 3yo.

 Mommy, if you let me play a game on your phone, the Elf on the Shelf will tell Santa to give you presents!

I'm sorry, what?? Apparently he thinks I am under the jurisdiction of this Elf! Moreover, he thinks that mommy being good is giving him what he wants, even though he knows he is banned from using my phone (a liiiittle incident with downloading) because he can't listen. Hmmmm. I wonder if I can slip an extra line into the story when we read it next...

A line that excludes mommy and daddy from the knowing stare of the little nymph!! I guess that's what I get for trying to bribe my kid to be good.

14 comments:

  1. lol -

    My sister just bought the ELF on a Shelf for her kids. She also posted a photo of him on FB today.

    Seriously, Why didn't you r I think of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ELF on the Shelf only reports on those under the age of 12. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Too funny! I saw mention of the Elf on the Shelf on another blog this morning, but had no idea what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious Kam! I didn't know the Elf on the shelf existed...now I do! Leave it to Natey to think of a way to use the elf to his advantage. He is such a smart, crafty little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh MERCY! Do not let our kids get together! They'd wreak havoc on our Elf tradition! :)

    Hmm... gotta figure out a rhyming verse for that non-parents part of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious! It's exactly what my kid would do. I'm not so into the elf on the shelf idea--I'm too intellectual about it, but I suspect this is why.

    Thanks for the laugh. (Though I know that it's not that funny when you have to find a strategy to deal with it. They are always one step ahead of us, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lets, never, ever, ever let Nathan and Asher get together okay? The results could be...too much to even think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josie was totally freaked out at the idea the elf was watching her! I didn't even try to get ours out this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I brought our Elf on the Shelf out this year, T told me that he was not real, that he was just a stuffed animal!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??