Thursday, February 3, 2011

Homemade Pancakes

I used to use Bisquick for my pancakes before I realized how easy it is to make them yourself. I tried a few recipes online and ended up modifying and combining 2 of them to get the recipe I use now. Saturdays are usually pancakes day in our house and this recipe is a family favorite! The recipe below is for a full batch and I usually half it so I don't have a ton of batter left over. The half recipe makes ~6-7 pancakes using a 1/3 cup measuring cup to pour the batter on the griddle. I find it is perfect for us, but sometimes make the whole batch and freeze the left over pancakes to be popped in the toaster for a quick and easy breakfast.


Pancakes
2 cups All purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
 2 cups milk
1 tbs melted butter
2 eggs (separated)


Combine all of the dry ingredients and mix using a fork.


Add the milk and stir until combined. Add the melted butter and stir again.


Separate your eggs. There have to be a million "tips" for doing this. I find the easiest thing is to crack the egg and pour it into my hand. The white goes through, the yolk is in your hand, you toss it in the batter. Easy Peasy. Just make sure you have clean hands or ewww. After you add the yolks to the batter, stir to combine and get to work on your whites. If you want a little exercise, use your hand whisk. If you are smart, use your hand mixer with the whisk attachment. {Man my arm was tired} Whisk until you have soft peaks, then fold the whites into the batter.

See, only a couple more steps than if I made it from a box and I promise it literally takes 5 minutes. Let the batter stand for 10 minutes while you clean up and get your griddle ready. The whites and the baking powder help the pancakes to be light and fluffy so don't over mix. Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to pour the pancakes on the griddle. I usually heat the oven to 250 degrees and throw a baking rack in there to keep the pancakes warm while I make them all.


We add all kinds of things to our pancakes. Nate's favorite is blueberries and the hubby like bananas. I like vanilla in my pancakes, Aaron does not. If you do like it, add 1 tsp when you add the milk! On occasion I will toss in some chocolate chips, but if you've met my son, you know he doesn't need any extra help in the hyper department! I hope you enjoy the pancakes! Let me know if you give them a try!

9 comments:

  1. FINALLY!!!! FINALLY!!!!

    Thanks Kam! I've been waiting for you to post this recipe. I can for sure see pancakes in my future this weekend or maybe for dinner one night next week. Will the batter hold up in the fridge? If, say, I wanted to make it the night before to use the next night or the next morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - thanks for the recipe...I will be trying this for breakfast in the AM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the directions, but REALLY love your pictures!

    We toast leftover pancakes all the time. I wish I was a breakfast cooker, but I'm barely functional before lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I won't lie though. They look great, but enormously complicated. I have a whisk, but no whisk attachment. The vanilla tip sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make these almost every weekend! I love to make a big batch so I can freeze the leftovers. It makes breakfast so much easier during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I did it. Homemade pancakes. Um, loved the recipe, but I might have to go back to Bisquick - they took me forever! It didn't help that I kept getting interrupted. And I started by hand-whisking the whites and my arm completely fell off. But they turned out good. I made one change -- replace 1/2 cup of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour. Not sure if that had something to do with them not being super fluffy, or if it was my impatience with the egg whites. But the flavor was good, despite having whole wheat. Gotta sneak in whole grains when I can!

    Thanks for the recipe! More, please!! Need a quick n' easy carrot recipe. Think carrots for dummies. That's me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Thanks for this recipe. I grew up on homemade pancakes and the Krusteaze just isn't cutting it anymore. We're trying to do more cooking from scratch and this is just too easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking yummy! I love pancakes, thank you for sharing this recipe with us. You can use this college paper writing service for any writing guidelines.

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??