Monday, May 10, 2010

No use crying over spoiled milk

Unless that milk is 12 ounces of breast milk taken out of the fridge and left on the counter for way too long. Yes, this was the situation in my kitchen on Saturday evening. I went to grab some milk to mix with baby girl's cereal (yes we started solids on Cinco de Mayo, pics to come) and couldn't find the little cooler that should have been sitting on the middle shelf, plain as day. I glanced to the counter and, there it sat, for how long I had no idea. I opened the cooler and felt the bottles hoping it was a recent occurence, but they were completely room temperature. DH probably took it out when he was looking for something behind it, but he has "no recollection" of that happening. I, on the other hand, appreciate the value of said liquid gold and know I wouldn't have left it out.

Who was responsible was neither here nor there, what was done was done. I had to check it out to see if I could still use it. I smelled it, but couldn't really tell if it was bad. What's a mom to do at this point? Ok, here's the part where I lose like 10 followers who are too grossed out to read this blog again, but what was I supposed to do? I made the ultimate sacrifice...I tasted it. It was bad. I had to throw it out.

If this had happened with Nate, I probably would have cried, yelled at Aaron and made a huge production out of the fact that it took me 90 minutes of uncomfortable pumping to get that milk. I did none of those things. I simply sighed as I poured it down the drain and got frozen milk out to send to daycare today. Maybe I'm growing up or giving up; I'm not really sure which one.

11 comments:

  1. Good for you! That is a situation that was probably SO infuriating at the time and you managed to keep a cool head, good job girl! I think I would have had a freak out but I guess I'm not as grown up yet as you are! ;)

    BlogBaby's BabyMama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I never tried my own breastmilk with T? I did a smell test, and that usually worked fine. I once knocked over an entire bottle of freshly pumped milk all over the counter and literally cried. We work so hard for that! You did better than I ever would have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tasted it before...i wouldn't know if it was bad or not? What does bad breast milk taste like? :) Just curious.
    So sorry. I would have pitched a fit..good for you being so mature about the whole thing. There is always more where that came from. LOL
    GEt Pumping:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen my sister. The answer to your question is that you are giving up. It happens to the best of us. There's no shame in the game.

    And, I liked how you referred to breast milk as "liquid gold". IT SO IS!!! I'll have to remember this post when this becomes part of my world in a few months.

    xo
    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have tasted it, too! No biggie. Sorry about your spoiled milk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TWELVE OUNCES?!?!? i didn't pump a collective 12 ounces over the three children that i nursed! you rock!!!

    i've totally tasted my milk...i had to. the curiosity was killing me!!!

    i think it tastes like cereal milk...you know, the milk left over after cereal, that's extra sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I may have spazzed with my first too. 12 ounces is no small feat! I'm glad you were able to breath through it! oh, and I can't wait to see the pics of her and her solids. Watching babies eat is always a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yowza! man alive....I can say you have grown up...having 2 will make you settle in some areas and freak out beyond words in others!!!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??