Thursday, May 13, 2010

"Surf" Pops!

Ok, they're cake pops, not surf pops, but that's what Natey chooses to call them. He wants them for his birthday, only request, no sprinkles. What kid doesn't want sprinkles?? Mine, apparently. I'd like to say they were easy to make, but I'd be lying. Like I said before, the getting them to naked cake pop stage was pretty simple, although time consuming. It was the dipping that wasn't as easy as I'd hoped!

I had been checking these babies out on Bakerella for a while and I got the gist of how to make them and then ran with it. Here's a quick run down of how I made them.

Supplies:
Boxed cake mix (or if you are so inclined make a cake from scratch...I was not inclined!)
Cream cheese frosting (I did make this from scratch, recipe below)
Sprinkles
Lolipop sticks
Candy Melts
Food coloring
Styrofoam block wrapped in cling wrap (used for drying the pops)

I got the last 4 items in my list from Michael's Craft store.

I made a big batch, so I baked 2 cakes. I baked one chocolate cake and one funfetti cake. One batch of cream cheese frosting was enough for both cakes.

Bake cake(s) and completely cool on a rack. If the cake is warm, it won't work as well.
While cake is cooling you can make your frosting!

Cream Cheese frosting:
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
3 cups of confectioners sugar
6 tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Put cream cheese, butter and vanilla into bowl (I use a kitchen aid mixer) and mix on low to combine.  Slowly add confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time, and mix on medium until you have creamy frosting. Taste it...several times...to make sure it is delicious! If it is too thick, you can add a 1/2 tbs to 1 tbs of milk, but I found it to be the perfect consistency.

When the cake is completely cooled, break it into chunks and toss it in your food processor. Pulse 5-10 times. You want the resulting cake to be crumbly, but not too fine. Put the cake crumbles into a large mixing bowl and add the frosting, a scoop at a time, molding it together with your hands after each scoop. You want to be able to just form the cake into balls that stay together, but if you put too much frosting in it will be too moist (sorry LZ!) and mushy.

After you've combined the cake and frosting, form the cake into balls. I think I made mine too big (they were about an 1 1/2 inches in diameter), next time I'll make them a tad smaller. Place them on a plate or tray (whatever will fit in your freezer) lined with wax paper and put them in the freezer for ~20 minutes. Wrap plastic wrap around your styrofoam block. Take cake balls out of the freezer and stick the lolipop sticks in the bottom. lay them back down on the tray and put them back in the freezer while you melt your candy.

I chose to do a bunch of colors for the candy coating, so I just put the candy melts in the microwave in coffee cups and then added the coloring. Next time I think I will do fewer colors and use a double boiler (if you don't have one, you can just put a metal bowl over a saute pan of boiling water). I think the candy will keep a better consistency this way.

Melt the candy and then remove the pops from the freezer, a few at a time, and dip them in the candy. You have to dip and swirl so they ball is completely covered. If you are going the sprinkles route, immediately sprinkle them before they start to harden. Stick them into the styrofoam to dry and you're all set!!

See...easy peasy right? Phew!

18 comments:

  1. They look great to me! I heart bakerella...she makes the best stuff ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh those look so yummy. I was trying to tell Actress about them. I will have to show her your post. how long did they take to make?
    I don't have a food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH! I'm having flashbacks to Josie's 2nd birthday.

    I neglected to freeze my naked cake balls (that sounds dirty) and ended up with some ugly cake pops.

    But she was 2 so I served them anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours look great! I put mine in the fridge, and wished I would have done the freezer instead, because the started to slide down the stick as they were drying. And I love your idea about the styrofoam block for drying. You should have seen me trying to come up with ideas in my kitchen to get them to dry - too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so yummy!! And the pics are great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing...they are soo pretty and I love the colors and how some don't have sprinkles...why can't I be crafty like you? I can take a computer apart and put it back together...PERFECT PARTNERSHIP? Yes, I think so! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome but what are candy melts?? can you take a picture for me? I really want to try this idea but I am SOOOO not a baker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm the only bloggin mom that hasn't attempted to make this damn things. I printed out your instructions and will try it soon.. wish me luck and lot's of patience! :) Yours are great!!!

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??