Thursday, October 28, 2010

Food for Thought- Killer Shrimp

Let me start this recipe by saying you NEED to make these shrimp. They are so simple and delicious. Our whole family loves them, including Natey. I usually serve them with some grilled (or broiled in the fall and winter) asparagus and rice of some kind. You can cook them on the grill or in the oven. They are equally delicious either way!

Killer Shrimp
Shell on Shrimp (fresh or frozen) size U21-25 are good
1 lemon
2-3 sprigs of Rosemary
3 cloves of garlic
pinch of kosher salt
pepper
1/4 tsp. (or more depending on how spicy you want it) red pepper flakes
3 tbs olive oil

Rip off a huge piece of tin foil. If you have the heavy duty kind it is better. Decide how many shrimp you want per person. These are so good I always make 8-9 per person or 5 for Nate.

Put thawed or fresh shrimp in the middle of the tin foil.
Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice out of both sides onto the shrimp.
Cut a few pieces of the spent lemon (rind on) and toss them on top.
Break the rosemary sprigs in half and toss them in.
Take 3 whole cloves of garlic and give them a whack with the side of your chef knife to remove the peel and toss them in whole.

There seems to be a lot of tossing going on, but bear with me.

I use kosher salt. I keep it in a bowl next to the stove so I don't have an exact measurement for this, but take a pinch of salt and sprinkle it over the shrimp.
I also use a pepper grinder, so I just grind the pepper on until I see that it is even covering the shrimp.
Sprinkle 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes onto the shrimp. You could also put a whole hot pepper in if you want it spicy. I would LOVE to do this, but Nate needs to eat too!
Drizzle 2-3 tbs (depending on how much shrimp you used) of olive oil over contents.
Use your hands to combine all ingredients so that everything is equally coated.


To wrap the package up, bring the long sides together and roll or fold the two pieces so they stay together. Fold the ends like a present (I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of this part!) until you have a nice tight package. Take another piece of tin foil and put the packet, seam side down, onto the new piece of foil and repeat.

Put the packet in the oven at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, flipping the packet over half way through.
When you open it up it should look like this!


 If you want to be a total copy cat, or just like asparagus, you can make this with it as well. Wash your asparagus and break the woody part of the stem off of the bottom. A good trick is to hold the end of the asparagus in one hand and midpoint in the other and bend. Where it snaps off is usually good. Put them in a pyrex baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt pepper and pepper flakes if you'd like and put them under a broiler on high for 6-8 minutes. Watch them every few minutes and you can shake them around in the dish so they cook evenly.


 Make a box of Rice-a-Roni, because not everything needs to be homemade, and you have a meal!


Bon appetit!

10 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Wish I liked shrimp. Love the taste, but it's a texture thing. No wonder Aidan's a crazy picky eater! But I will be making that oh-so-easy asparagus. I need more ideas on cooking vegetables (like, I need to "boiling water for dummies" version)... and you seem to have a ton of good recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good!! I love asparagus, I wish my family would eat it too!!

    You need to teach me how to take good food pics, I have several recipes I want to post, but I can never get the pics right. (I really need to someday get a better camera!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i love shrimp and asparagus! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would last about 30 seconds in our house. Oh my goodness that looks good. Perfect kiddo meal, too...finger foods except for the rice. We'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would totally be a copycat! :)

    Those look utterly delicious!


    And do you want to swing by and drop me a note if you'd like to add your Etsy shop to a future post? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG that looks amazing!

    I'm emailing it to my sister right now! She LOVES shrimp & asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, looks so yummy! I love asparagus too. I always steam it but next time I think I will try your method! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious and simple!! Right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. snorting fioricetaddiction fioricet
    Famous oscar romero was the city of san salvador at the building of his portfolio.

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??