Friday, October 17, 2008

Flashback Friday....I BELIEVE!!!

I was reminded last night of this same time 4 years ago...baseball playoffs. Aaron and I were living in Las Vegas and the Red Sox were playing in the ALCS. That's the American league Championship Series to those of you who have just tuned out at the site of acronyms! They were playing the Yankees and Aaron was down in the dumps because they had lost the 1st 3 games and were one away from going home, again. I wasn't a Red Sox fan, but I knew of the 86 year World Series drought.

Aaron had had to work for the 1st 3 games, but we watched the 4th and 5th games together, and the Sox won. He actually called out of work for the 6th game and I was supposed to go to happy hour with my friends that night and he freaked out. Why would he care if I went to TGIFriday's you might ask? Apparently I had become his lucky charm, and the Sox couldn't win if I didn't watch the game with him. Aww, how sweet, how could I resist flaking on my friends after that? So I stayed home with him and watched...and they won...again!! Needless to say I didn't even attempt to buck the system when it came to game 7 and they made it to the World Series! It is amazing to come back from a 3 games to 0 deficit and win the series.

Of course I watched the World Series with him and they won....on my 26th birthday! Aaron was so excited and was convinced that I had been responsible for breaking "The Curse". Needless to say I became a Red Sox fan after that. I mean, how could I not, they won because of me! wink, wink
------------------------------------------------------------------
Fast forward to the present time. The Red Sox are again having some trouble in the ALCS and were down 3-1. If they lost last night, their season would be over. I had spaced the fact that the game was on last night and had made plans to go to my friend Joelle's house to hang out. Apparently when I told Aaron of my plans the day before, he didn't remember either. Oh, but when I was getting ready to go he started freaking out again.

"You know you're messing everything up, don't you?"

"What are you talking about, honey?"

"It is going to be your fault if they loose tonight!"
(Oh the game...darn, I had totally forgot) "I already made plans with Joelle, and I'm not going to flake on her, I'm about to go out the door! I'll watch it over there, OK?"

"Don't bother, you'll just jinx them."

"You're being ridiculous. Besides, if they loose it won't be my fault, it will be because of your bad attitude." (And then I left)

I got there and we were hanging out for a while when Joelle's hubby got home from work. I relayed the story of what had transpired before I left and Ryan promptly told me that the Red Sox were already down by 2. Oops, but hey, I was already there and wasn't leaving. About 45 minutes later I get a text from Aaron...
"Are you watching the game????"

"No, you forbid me to, remember."

"Please...we're getting killed."

The score was now 5-0. Double oops. We headed inside and by the time I got to the TV room the score was 7-0. I'm so going to be in the dog house when I get home. I start watching in the 7th inning, and am probably the only person who thinks we can still win this game. We get 1 run and then there are 2 men on base when Ortiz hits a 3 run home run! Ok, now the score is 7-4. Ohhh, ohhh, don't call it a come back!! It is at this point that I say quick goodbyes to Joelle and Ryan, hop in my car and tune to the station playing the game. I got home in the time it took them to play the top of the 8th. (I did not drive 80 the whole way, nope, not me!) Aaron was so happy I had come home and we watched the rest of the game together. 3 more runs in the 8th and then the walk-off, game winning run in the 9th!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Sox have won the WS 2 times since I met Aaron. If they can win the next 2 games in Tampa they will be in the WS again. And if they go 5 games, they can win again...on my birthday. Maybe I am the Red Sox lucky charm. Hey I should tell them this...I could make some money from it!

Baby Natey (4 months old in this pic) doesn't look convinced! Well, here's hoping anyway! GO SOX!

12 comments:

  1. Would you mind purchasing me a couple lotto tickets and sending them on over my way. You have some seriously good juju...

    ReplyDelete


  2. Hello there! This article couldn’t be written any better!
    Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I most
    certainly will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.

    Thank you for sharing!
    I love this site – its so usefull and helpfull Pakar Seo this website is extremely helpful Pakar Seo its so usefull and helpfull Pakar Seo I just want to say I’m newbie to blogging and site-building and actually liked this blog site. Pakar Seo Very likely I’m planning to bookmark your blog post . You amazingly have awesome article content. Regards for revealing your blog site. Pakar Seo ....

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??