Tuesday, January 13, 2009

If at first you don't succeed

...try, try and then QUIT!! I did my best people. I tried to give of myself, even though I freak out and hate it so much. It was such a challenge for me that I even made it goal 55 on my 101.
*********************************************************
Ok, I won't make you go look, I attempted to give blood. We had one of those vampire-on-wheels mobiles show up at my work for people to donate blood. I hadn't planned on conquering this goal so soon. I do have over 2 years to go before the end of my 1001 days you know, but I sucked it up and made an appointment for 1:00pm yesterday. I even drank 80, not a typo people, 80 ounces of water before my appointment so I would be nice and hydrated. You see, I have the smallest veins in the world (thanks mom) and I wanted them to be nice and plump when the time came for some poor, unsuspecting, phlebotomist to find one of them.

It has been hovering somewhere between freezing and I can't feel my toes out, so I wore my down coat to walk outside to the blood mobile. When I got in there it felt like Hades and I had to wait 10 minutes before I got to the little room (the 7th circle of hell) where they ask you some questions and then check you out before they take your blood. The woman put me through the inquisition and then took my temperature. It was 99.6 degrees. You can't donate if it is over 99.0. Hello, people, it is hot as hell in here!! I'm wearing what might as well be a comforter. Of course I'm hot. You can try to come back tomorrow, she says. Ugh. Fine.

I make another appointment for 12:45pm today. I don't get to drink as much water, only 40 ounces since I am working in the lab all day. I don't wear my coat and half freeze to death walking out to the blood mobile. I have to re-fill out the same paperwork that I did yesterday. Oh and one of the questions they ask you is, "Have you accepted money or favors in exchange for sex since 1977"? Hmm, nope! They ask me more of the same questions, take my temp and it is 96.8 (since I'm frozen), check the iron content of my blood and I am a-ok to donate!!

I tell them they need to pick their best vein finder since mine are tiny and elusive. Two woman come and try to find a suitable vein in either one of my arms. One of them says she thinks she can do it. Have you seen the size of the needle to donate blood???? They might as well take a bendy straw and shove it in there!! She tries 3 times to get a vein, with no success. Oh, and by the way... If you are trying to get a gigantic needle into some one's arm, please don't make sounds like, "tsk", "ughhh", and "hmmmph". It doesn't instill confidence in your pin cushion, aka ME!!

In the end, she couldn't make it happen. My blood is destined to stay in my body. She told me I am not a good candidate for donating, so I am not going through that trauma again. I am marking goal 55 off of the list as completed. I earned it. I have a hole in my arm and a giant bruise to prove it.

13 comments:

  1. A for effort. When the blood lady tells you you aren't a good canidate, its time to pack up your veins and go home. At least you tried :) I will make it a point to donate at least once this year in tribute to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I suggest that you begin a rigorous vitamin regiment...STAT! LOL, I would still be nice to you anyways...cuz I am just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be very proud of yourself for trying -- I don't think I could ever do it! I use to be able to use the excuse of I didn't weigh enough (you know, back in my high school days) but that excuse doesn't quite work anymore! I remember everytime I had to get blood drawn when I was pregnant, it would usually take at least two or three time to find a vien that wouldn't roll!! Ugh, gives me the chills just thinking about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor pin cushion. Yikes. I only have one good vein and if that one goes...I am in huge trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :o( Well, it's the thought that counts!

    LORI

    ReplyDelete
  6. You tried, so that counts! Hope your arm recovers. I usually have a nice bruise there for a few days afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter what, you tried! That's still a wonderful step you made. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kameron, what an ordeal! I'm with Liz, you definitely get an A for effort. My husband and I cant donate blood because the meds we are on (my husband is on an anti-seizure med, and I take pain killers among other things). I did give in high school a lot but always got faint!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously. Sounds fun. I've given blood once. Tried twice. First time was high school. My iron wasn't high enough. Second time was college. I vowed to never do it again! I was there forever, watching people come and go. My bag took a VERY long time to fill up. The nurse kept coming over, asking if I was okay. It was awful. I got up, just about passed out and when home feeling drunk. Not fun.

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a military doc poke my arm EIGHT times once before giving up and saying my veins were awful and he just couldn't do it. So I came back the next day and someone else got it in one try and said, "I don't know what HIS problem was." Ugh! Glad you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That stinks, but you tried.

    It took four nurses and a pediatric nurse to start an IV when I had my daughter. Then when I had Nate, it was nearly a repeat. RIDICULOUS! So, I doubt I'll ever try.

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??