Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rhode Island gets "Moxie"fied!

My lovely friends from Moxie Media asked me to host their friend Moxie Mona as she made her way across this wonderful country of ours. I am always down for house guests so I said, "What the heck, give her my address and have her look me up when she rolls into town". You never know what to expect with house guests, but Mona didn't disappoint. We all thought she looked vaguely familiar, but she said people always tell her she strikes an uncanny resemblance to a certain super heroine. She seemed a little tired so we chatted over a Dunkin Donuts coffee (no pretentious Fourbucks for this small state household). It seems she was quite pooped from all of her traveling. I assured her that we'd keep it pretty low key. It's not like you can go far in the nation's tiniest state anywho. You can drive through the whole state in an hour (if you drive like my husband, that is).

My son took to her right away. For some reason he called her "Ginger Woman", but she thought it was cute, so the nickname stuck. They became fast friends and he wanted to show her all of the happening places toddlers like to hang. Our first stop was Roger Williams Park. Nate showed her his favorite animal on the carousel.
She was getting a bit lippy about the whole seat belt thing, but Nate is big on safety so he gave her a stern talking to.
When she still wouldn't listen, he showed her exactly what happens to chicks who don't obey the rules.
She pretty much fell in line after that, so we headed to the playground. Rhode Island is the home of Hasbro and when they heard Mona was coming to town they sent their best representative to greet her.After running around all day at the park we were all a bit hungry. We decided to hit up one of the local farms to get some fresh apples, blueberries and veggies for dinner.

She was a little miffed that she actually had to do some work, but no one gets a free ride in this house, not even guests! She later admitted it was worth it when she gorged herself on homemade apple pie and Blueberry Apple crumble bars!
After all of the toddler time, Mona said she needed a girls night out. I had to go to my friend's wedding so Mona came as my plus one. She got a bit tipsy and wanted her picture taken with the Eiffel tower. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was just a cake, so I obliged.

Since I am pregnant, I told her I'd be the designated driver. Man did she take advantage! By the end of the night I was looking all over for her, and half expected to hear she went home with one of the groomsmen, but I found her passed out in my purse.
After she slept of all of the champagne, we relaxed for the day before we headed to one of Providence's coolest events, WaterFire. She was amazed by the 100 bonfires that are lit in the middle of the three rivers that run through downtown Providence.
We watched the fire dancer light some of the basins, ate some classic RI food like doughboys and hot wieners, bought Natey an annoying laser gun (oh wait, that was all daddy's doing), and listened to the relaxing music while we breathed in the smell of the wood burning and Autumn approaching.
It was a nice, relaxing end to her trip through the Ocean State. She bid us farewell and said if she were ever in Long Island again she'd come to visit. I didn't bother to correct her, everyone makes that mistake. But just for the record, Rhode Island is a state & Long Island is in New York!




Visit Mayhen & Moxie to see where else Mona has been!

24 comments:

  1. Do you always have such fun weekends, or was this just for Mona?
    PS - you look great pregnant! At 32 weeks with #2 I was a house, and fairly immobile. I never could have hosted Moxie Mona unless she wanted to lay in bed and watch TV with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get to waterfire again some time. Dan just doesn't care for it all that much (too many people for him)

    Looks like you showed Mona a good time!! I hope she didn't leave any surprised for you in your purse!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you were a wonderful hostess to Mona.......thank you so much! I HEART RI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun. Mona is like Flat Stanley. You showed her a good time, but she is not gonna be happy when she sees that purse picture. LOL
    Cracking up at this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What exciting times! I am loving your son's nickname for Mona. Thanks for keeping Mona in line so that she learns how to obey the rules. DOn't want her getting reckless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake is awesome, the waterfires amazing and that little stern talking too, priceless. RI is a cool little place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...Moxie had a fantastic time...I've never actually been to RI..but would love to sometime...and it cracked me up about RI being thought of as part of NY...better than being considered a smelly armpit...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You reminded me how much I adore your state!! Soooo much better than Long Island. Silly Mona.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing RI like this - so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! YAY.. esp that last photo...

    I want to find a pick UR own apple farm.. !

    Thanks for your comment.. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't 'get' the beaver ducks thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She probably just had one too many long island ice teas!

    You treated her well! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun adventure for Mona. But you should have also introduced her to your sewing machine and stitched her a smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky Mona! Looks like an awesome weekend! :) lo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like she had a great visit. That pic of Natey eating the apple was adorable too =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. AHAHAHAAA! Mona is a lush! LOL! I loved seeing her passed out in your purse! But that wedding cake? Stunning! I would have taken a picture next to it too! WOW! Good to see RI treated Mona well. And by the looks of it, Nate had her in check, huh? He is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think yours was by far my favorite so far! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hilarious!!! I love the purse incident. And the fires in the river? Sounds amazing. I love local traditions like that...

    ReplyDelete
  18. That Mona, she's such a lush! At least you found her passed out in your purse and not making out in the coat closet with Spiderman or something. Now that would have been awkward.

    BlogBaby's BabyMama

    P.S. YOU ARE HYSTERICAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you showed Mona a good time!! I hope she didn't leave any surprised for you in your purse!!
    Work From Home

    ReplyDelete
  20. Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your website accidentally, and I'm stunned why this accident did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
    Visit my weblog : how to download movies

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??