Monday, October 26, 2009

His cup diaper runneth over


I have never met a kid who generates more urine than my son. In his defense he is also the thirstiest kid I have ever laid eyes on, that does not have diabetes. Yes, I had him checked, I was THAT concerned. The boy is potty trained for the most part. He wears big boy undies and goes pee in the toilet all day. He only wears a diaper for his nap and to sleep at night. The problem is he pees through his diaper EVERY night. I'm serious, 5 out of 7 nights a week, he wakes up with wet pjs...and sheets...and blankets....that all have to be laundered. I have tried cutting his liquids off at 6 (he goes to sleep at 8). I have tried overnight diapers, even in a size 6. He pees at least 2-3 times between when he finishes dinner and when he goes to bed, so what gives?

Last night I put him down at 7:45pm. He had just peed after his bath. At 8:30 I hear him calling me. "Mommy, I NEED you!" I knew nothing good could come of this. I go into his room to discover him standing in his crib, pants and diaper removed and thrown on the floor. His shirt was wet and he had peed in his bed. WTH??? When I asked him why he had taken his diaper off he said, "There was too much mess in dare mommy". Um, I picked up the diaper. It was dry. My guess was, he had to pee and thought he could do it himself, but then realized he doesn't know how to escape from the confines of the crib, and it just happened. I changed him, let him go potty in the toilet some more, diapered him and put him back to bed at 9pm. He woke up at 5am having peed through his diaper.

I'm at a loss. I feel it is torture to tell a thirsty kid that he can't have any water. I also feel it is torture to have to wash his dang bedding and jams a million times a week and to be woken up at 5 am with my toddler crying because his clothes are wet, so what's a mom to do? What are some viable options? The only 2 things I can think of are calling up NASA and getting my hands on some of those adult-cross-country-don't-even-have-to-stop diapers or this ...

Oh, in case you aren't fluent in Japanese it is a pee-sucker-upper for use in outer space (in a nut shell).

Help.me.please.before.I.completely.loose.my.mind!!!

16 comments:

  1. Oh no. I hate when that happens. Maybe try the overnights pullups or the good nights. Those are for bigger kids but maybe the hold more too. Otherwise I got nothing. Rubber pants. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you put him in a big boy bed so he can get out? My daughter gets up goes potty and returns herself promptly to bed. She knows she is only allowed to get up to go potty. This way eliminates a lot of the clean up. Also, you can put a little potty in his room too. A friend of mine did that so her little one could go when needed. Have you tried those good night undies? We've had the best of luck with Huggies Overnight diapers for heavy wetters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that he does so great during the day! Drew does a lot of peeing at night too -- he use to pee through his diaper every night even when he wore the Goodnights. What do you think would happen if you woke him up during the night to use the potty? Do you think he would go back to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Don't know what to tell you. Why not limit the liquids starting at 5:00 p.m. If you used to let him have a full cup of liquid, cut it by a 1/4 or a 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, I never even thought of a thirsty kid possibly being diabetic! I wonder if Aidan is??? It would sure make sense. He's always wanting more milk, more water... and I keep thinking, "How am I going to cut the kid off when he's potty training?" Guess you're having that exact problem.

    My inclination wouldn't be to stop his fluids anymore than you have. If he's thirsty, he's thirsty. But maybe I don't know anything. Maybe he'll do better once he goes to the big boy bed?? Hmmm... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to make the bed in three layers. Each layer was a plastic cover followed by a sheet. If she wet through, we just peeled off the wet layer and a dry layer was ready. It works for a little while. It doesn't reduce the laundry any. It just makes middle of the night bed changes easier.

    As for soaking through the diaper, got me. We switched diapers a few times, but I don't know if anything really works to stop it.

    I never could cut off the liquids early in the evening. Couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm 40 and I still keep a cup of water by the bed. I couldn't tell my child no to the same. The good news is, he WILL eventually outgrow it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of good ideas going on there. I do know several people who have asked daycare or if they stay at home they monitored themselves and did not have their child go to the bathroom as "OFTEN" as they wanted. I know it sounds kind of cruel but teaching them to hold off a little allowed them to gain better bladder control. I am not sure what the answer is there but you could try it for a couple of days with your child care person also aware and keeping track...Hope you figure that out soon!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am absolutely useless on this topic because we are just thrilled that Itty Bit is able to be daytime potty trained at all (docs said not to rush it because of his kidney issues and they weren't overly optimistic... and then the kiddo potty trained himself at 22 months... go figure).

    We still have occasional wet-throughs at night time. Yes, it's a pain to clean up - but I would be so nervous about either limiting more fluids or trying to get him to hold it longer (not saying they aren't good ideas - but just from our own experience wouldn't be smart).

    I can empathize with you and hope that there are some quick clean-up tricks and hopefully his bladder will catch up with his growth spurt.

    Oh yeah - maybe the wake-up and pee thing would help?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My nephew is the same way, and they had him tested for diabetes, too! Have you tried going up a diaper size or putting rubber pants over his diaper?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adored this post, Kameron. Totally had me laughing...especially the first line.

    I think there is only one solution. Buy the pee-sucker-upper. Do not delay. Once that new born of your arrives, your gonna need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have no advice because i obviously have never been there but your post made me laugh. hope you are getting some good advice from the other moms out there... good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you tried Diaper Doublers? They are an insert - not unlike a maxi-pad, that you can put int a diaper to soak up the excess. We used them for M when she had similar issues, and they work. A bigger diaper is usually called for. We used the Huggies overnights in one size bigger with a doubler, and no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  13. holy hell! Is this what I have to look forward to with boys? Brea didn't have any problems with going to the potty at night. Poor lil Nate. I say put a diaper on him and then line it with a massive size pad.. If he goes through that then the boy has it goin on for sure! LOL

    All jokes aside.. I'm sorry hun. I hope you find out what you can do esp before lil Miss get's here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My nephew is two years old and we "double diaper" him every night and it works. We did the same for my niece who is now 5. Hope you have found some solution.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you think you are such a person, try to unwind your facial muscles every time you feel anxiety on your face. It is a sluggish and steady process, but you will eventually learn to control your facial expressions without much effort - the solution is to loosen up!
    brestrogen amazon

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??