Thursday, October 22, 2009

Jack-o-lantern Spectacular

Last night we went to the Jack-o-lantern spectacular at Roger Williams Park Zoo. We went with my friend Joelle, her hubby (his parents and brother) and Natey's bestie, Tyler. We picked a Wednesday night, when no other special events were happening to try to avoid the crowds. Yeah, that kinda backfired! After a little hoopla getting extra tickets for the parents (we already had ours) we didn't get in to the park until after 7. The line just to get to the pumpkins was about 40 minutes more from there. Trying to keep my very active child entertained for that 40 minutes was very irritating for this irritable mommy, but we finally made it to the main event! My irritation melted away when I saw the awesomeness and artistry of these jack-o-lanterns! They were amazing. Each one was carved with a different scene and many were grouped in themes. They were carved and then contrast was made on them by shading with sharpie, so when the light shone through the images were detailed and extremely intricate! (Click on any collage to see them in more detail.)

Natey's favorite was the Spiderman pumpkin of course. I loved the one that depicted "Where the Wild Things Are".
The big picture shows a huge grouping of typical jack-o-lanterns. The big one weighed in at 1187 pounds if you can believe that!! They had an awesome grouping of Sesame Street pumpkins that Natey got excited about. He loves cookie monster!
One of my favorite sets was the Alice in Wonderland pumpkins. They were really cool and had so much detail!
They had some of the biggest pumpkins I have ever seen in person. The one Nate and Tyler sat on was over 1,000 pounds too! As you can tell, the boys had a great time, even if they were up way past their bedtime. Mommy finally came around and had fun too. I only had a minor melt-down before we got to the action. I swear, sometimes pregnant me is worse than any toddler. I'll have to, ahem, work on that.

20 comments:

  1. i can totally do that with a pumpkin...

    oh, wait...no i can't!!

    those are ridiculous!!

    dude...donnatella is gonna be here so soon!!! i'm excited. i'm kinda bummed, though. i feel like when she gets here, i get to come visit and hold her...but, you're like FAR!! i still can't wait to see her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that was one amazing display of pumpkins!! How cool. I've never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are so talented! It boggles the mind to think of people with that much skill to turn a regular ol' pumpkin into such an intricate work of art. So awesome!

    Love the excitement of Natey's face in the last pic and oh my goodness how did he find a besty with even more curly hair than he has?? LOVE IT!

    BlogBaby's BabyMama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were amazing. Love the two curly headed boys on the pumpkin too, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cool! I wanna go see them. We don't have any cool pumpkins like that down here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some awesome cool pumpkins! I wish we had something like that around/near my town...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pumpkins are amazing! What a neat thing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow--I've never seen anything like that! I'm glad you all had such a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am completely amazed that anyone has that much talent- with a PUMPKIN?? Amazing. However, the 40 minute wait would've sent me over the edge to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Those are totally incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just amazing! I gotta get my artsy sister to see this and see what she can do!

    Glad you ended up having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have cut off my left arm to see something like that in person.. well, maybe just a finger but still! I would totally give up some sort of limb. I watch stuff like that on T.V during October all the time and LOVE IT! How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uh, that looks like a SWEEET place to visit...I want to go! Man- Can you imagine being that amazing at carving a pumpkin...that is just a talent! Family pic is soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I have to get down there to check this out. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kinda puts my triangle-eyed pumpkins to shame, eh? *sigh* I shaded one with sharpie, too, so can I get extra credit?!

    Love that pic of Natey and pal on the Great Pumpkin. He looks like he's a bout to BURST. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow those pumpkins are amazing! What a fun thing to go to {even if it kinda sucked getting in :)}!

    Love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are amazing! Someone else was talking about that the other day. Sounds such a neat place.

    ReplyDelete

What you talkin' bout Willis??